Newbie: Quicktime vs. Flash and other questions

Q&A about the latest versions
JeffN

Hello All.
I'm a newbie here. First time posting, and just getting my feet wet on this Object movie stuff. I downloaded Object2VR and am doing some practice and and testing before I by the license. At this point everything we are using for turntables are home made, simple manual turntables. As I get some samples I'll post them in the existing thread requesting samples.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I've read most of the posting so far to educate myself as best as I can.

First question:
Is there a preference out there as to outputting to Quicktime or Flash. Any advantages to one over the other?

2) I outputted a Object move to Quicktime. Set it to Start with auto rotation. So far so good. Object starts rotating when it loads, when I click on it I can manually rotate it. But is there a way to make it start rotating again by it's self?

3) I saw something about "skins". I think it was in the short tutorial for Object2VR. What is that all about? Is there some place where I can get more info / how to on "skins"?
BTW, at the start of the tutorial the gal mentioned that this was a quick intro / preliminary tutorial and more "in-depth" tutorials would be coming. Anybody heard when? It was a very helpful tutorial, and gave me a good start. But it would be nice to know what all can be done with Object movies.

Thanks for the help.
JeffN
360Texas

Hi JeffN, welcome to the forum.

Not to worry about home made equipment. I would suspect 90% of forum folks created their own object equipment.

Our personal preference is Flash because it allows the use of skin files. Skins are overlay layers containing buttons < > + - buttons and items that help the visitor view the object. Qucktime does not use skin overlays.

Using Flash, skins and buttons... I think one of the buttons is a RESTART rotation button, or restart. There are several sample button skins to choose from for your project. It will help if you have Flash 10 for your IE 7 or Firefox browser installed on your machine
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
JeffN

[quote="360Texas"]

There are several sample button skins to choose from for your project.

Hi 360Texas,
Thanks for the reply. From your post, where would I find the sample skins you mentioned?
360Texas

Open Object2VR
Choose OUTPUT Format - select FLASH then click the +ADD button

In the new Output Flash click the blue wench icon button to open the Settings box

Look on right side - find

Skin/Controller - downarrow to see the available list of controller skins OR

click the [FILE] button to go to the skin folder on your hard drive

I have 2

controller_object_popup.ggsk
default_loading.ggsk

Once you have a skin selected click the [EDIT] button to see what the skin overlays look like
This opens the Skin Editor.

Left side is the edit window. Right side is the TREE showing the text and buttons

In the TREE Mouse over and click a button series the <-<- button is a 2 state button,
mouse over and mouse click -----
click it and the button properties box is displayed
The Editor Button Properties for the <-<- buttons indicate ID = left

ONE nice feature is the Editor lets you create your own skin
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com