Lost P2VR project file?

Q&A about the latest versions
jakenorton

Hi again,

This afternoon, just before posting my question about polygon hotspots, I did a ton of work to my project, exported a GGPKG and got it setup on my blog, saved, exited, and now my project file is missing. I only have the earlier one from this morning, which does not include several hours of work done this afternoon.

Am I missing something? Is all that work now just - poof - gone? Is there a way to regenerate a project file from the GGPKG or elsewhere? Immensely frustrating if it's all lost.
- Jake

Jake Norton
www.jakenorton.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Jake,
Have you checked your Pano2VR backup folder?
This is found under Settings/Preferences and will have a link to the folder, copy the newest project file and skin to your projects folder and open it.
For further information please see: https://ggnome.com/doc/pano2vr/getting- ... s/#general
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
jakenorton

Thanks, Hopki. Unfortunately, even though Pzno2VR is setup for backups, there are none in the folder. Strange.

Any thoughts on how they might have disappeared, or why they would not have been backed up in the first place?
Screenshot 2023-04-11 075745.png
Screenshot 2023-04-11 075745.png (210.96 KiB) Viewed 51584 times
Screenshot 2023-04-11 080020.png
Screenshot 2023-04-11 080020.png (87.14 KiB) Viewed 51584 times
Thanks,
- Jake

Jake Norton
www.jakenorton.com
360Texas

I found that was curious. Sure enough using v7 setting I took a look at my backups and agreed no backups showing.
BUT when I used my Windows 11 files and folders app (Finder for Mac) path down to that same pathway... I found the backup folders and files. They are just not displayed when using Pano2vr settings autobackup.

Maybe its an opportunity for the Garden Gnome folks can take a look at.
pano2vrbackups.png
pano2vrbackups.png (75.85 KiB) Viewed 51579 times
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
jakenorton

Wow, that is weird, and I'm seeing the same thing. Unfortunately, the ones from the time period I need are not in there, and oddly when I use an undelete program to search that directory, there are numerous deleted backups, but a significant block - about 2 hours - of missing ones from when I was making all the changes that seem to now be lost. I cannot quite figure out what might have happened.

But, to be safe, I've now upped my auto-backup to store 50 backups at a time. Hopefully that will cover me going forward!

Thanks all, and best,

Jake
- Jake

Jake Norton
www.jakenorton.com
360Texas

One more thought on a PC I have a Recycle Bin on the desktop. Click it... to see deleted files. You can recover deleted files.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
jakenorton

Thanks, Dave. I tried that first, but there was nothing in the recycle bin. My undelete utility found some "deleted" files on the drive, but they were not the right ones. So, best I can tell, for some reason the auto-save/backup feature did not function properly for a bit of time. Likely some user error on my part. But, I just got everything recreated, so not the end of the world.

Thanks again, and best,
- Jake

Jake Norton
www.jakenorton.com
360Texas

Good on you.... thanks for pursuing this issue. Only trying to help where I can.

But the Garden Gnome folks should look into the issue of why the Backup files are not being displayed in the settings/auto backup page.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Guys,
On the Mac, the backups show in the correct folder using the link, will check the Windows tomorrow when in the office.
But thank you both for the heads up.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Guys,
On the PC, the blue folder icon opens an empty window, but if your right button click on the file path and select "Open in Exploria" then you see it.
Now added to the bug tracker.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
360Texas

True sort of. Blue folder - Right mouse click - does not function. Left mouse button - opens explorer... but I have to key in the path to get to AUTOBackup. Nothing in Autobackup. Thank you for adding issue to tracker.

Thank you.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Guys,
To clear this up, speaking with the team and reading the documentation which states:
Folder – This is the location of the backup folder. Click the folder icon to choose a new location. Right-click the file path to edit the path or to Open in Explorer/Show in Finder.
So the blue folder is for you to select a new backup location and not to open the existing location.
To open the existing location you would "Right Button Click" on the file path, not the blue open folder icon and there you have the option to open in Explorer.

The difference between the Mac and the PC is purely how the platforms handle files.
Although you see the files in the Mac, they are greyed out.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com