Various issues trying to make smaller pano

Q&A about the latest versions
dayve2011

Hi,

I'm trying to reduce the file size of a pano to fit on a Asus Eee Pad TF101 (Android v3.2), with a screen resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels. I have a couple of panos which I'm trying to reduce in size, so that the Asus can work with them. Unfortunately, I keep running into problems.

The process of importing the cubes into Pano2VR takes so long. I have a fast PC, but it's still taking many minutes.

I can't seem to get the file size low enough, without making the pano display banding on a even blue sky.

I also get a thin line or two in the pano (didn't get this before). I think it must be where the cubes meet?

I'm outputting the files as Flash (as the Android OS can read these), but they must be about 1.5Mb in order that they open and operate with out delays.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Best wishes,
Dasyve
smooth

Banding comes with compression not tile size!

If you only wish to cater for the 1280x800 screen you should make your cube face sizes no larger than 1500 pixels
For this you will need to start with a panorama of 4712x2356px or larger.

Regards, Smooth 8)
dayve2011

Hi Smooth,

Thanks for that. I followed your suggestion: re-sized the tiff panorama 10 4712 px long and converted it to jpeg cube faces with a 1500 px setting. I imported them into Pano2VR and set the individual tile qualities to 80 for the round shots, 20 for the nadir and 100 for the zenith (to try and minimise any banding).

The banding is still present in the sky, but the rest of the pano looks good, except for the thin lines, which are still there.

The file size is 3.8Mb, which is still too high (a similar pano is about 2.5Mb, and I don't think there's any difference in them).

If you can help further, I'd very much appreciate it.

Best wishes,
Dayve
smooth

It is going to depend on the colour information as to how well each tile will compress.
If there is a lot of colour the image will not compress nearly as much as a single colour.

You may very well have to use an even smaller tile size to get what you want out of the tablet.
Try setting your cube faces to the screen resolution I.E: 1280px
To know the equirectangular panorama image size need multiply the cube face by Pi (1280 x Pi [3.1415] = 4022px rounded up) So 4022x2011px
The issue with this is you are at 100% so you would have to limit zoom before the image look blurred and soft.

Your original input inamge file should have been 16 bit tif sRGB panorama to allow for a wider compression pallet.
If you have faked the sky by over saturating it (common) this will also reduce the amount of compression before banding is prevalent.

Regards, Smooth 8)
dayve2011

Hi Smooth,

Reducing the panoramic to 1280 didn't look very good at all. I've reverted back to my previous settings, but still get a line where the cubes meet. How would I remove this?

Cheers,
Dayve
smooth

dayve2011 wrote: but still get a line where the cubes meet. How would I remove this?
What version of Pano2VR are you using? This was fixed in the latest version "supposedly"! Seems OK in my tests using 3.1.0

Regards, Smooth 8)
dayve2011

v3.0 64-bit. I've just upgraded to v3.1.0 64 bit, but have the same lines appearing.

It doesn't appear on the others I've done, and this one was fine, until I started trying to reduce the size!

Cheers,
Dayve
dayve2011

Update...

I tried un-checking the overlap by 1 pixel on the multiresolution tab and the lines have vanished.

Cheers,
Dayve
Hana

Adjust cube face sizes to 1500 pixels and set individual tile qualities to address banding. For further reduction try smaller tile size and confirm original input image is 16 bit RGB for better compression. Remove lines where cubes meet by unchecking overlap on the multiresolution tab in Pano2VR.