Same question - this time with visuals!

Q&A about the latest versions
Steve Schultz

Hi all, I'm an experienced still photographer but new to panos. A friend asked if I was interested in doing some real estate work so I looked into the software and did 4 or 5 interior and exterior tests with the trial version of APP. I'm on a mac so
APP was for stitching and I did the 360 with Pano 2VR. Everything worked great! So I purchase the software and go out to photograph the home
and do the pano and it looks terrible!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2550/386 ... 85d66f.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2571/386 ... 454bbc.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3454/386 ... 429b3a.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2648/386 ... 014d8b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2436/386 ... 68ee7c.jpg
What is going on with the curved horizontal lines!?
The 3rd and 4th photos are my early trials, nice straight horizontal lines. The last was a test from this morning completed in a matter of minutes-nice straight horizontal lines. I have been searching for 2 days about how to fix the curved horizontal lines in the home photos. Checked control points and got rid of bad ones and inserted good to go green points-no difference.
The photos are screen captures from the flash files, I wasn't too concerned about picture quality just the curvature. I don't know if this is a stitching problem or a 360 problem but I'm running out of what to try next. My test panos look fine with no additional adjustments or adding canvas to the top and bottom. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the input. Thanks Much, Steve.
hum@no.id

It is need to look at real your flash output panoramas...
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
HansNyberg

It looks like you are cropping your output. You probably crop the empty nadir.
You need a full Equirectangular which has proportions exactly 2 to 1.

You do not say anything about what your lens is or if you are doing full spherical.
Please supply a full panorama as you use it in Pan2VR.

Hans
Steve Schultz

Thank you for your replies. Here are the two panos I used to do the 360s-
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/387 ... 927306.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3532/387 ... 3c029c.jpg
These are both cylindrical projections with a limited FOV-not spherical. As you can see from the screen shot of the photo studio
360 the horizontal lines near the top are straight. On the screen shot of the home 360 the horizontal lines near the top are curved inward. The only thing I am concerned about right now is fixing the curved horizontal lines in the home 360. On the studio 360
there was no need to add anything to the top and bottom, that was one of my first tests and I only did the basics not knowing how to do much else and that one turned out fine. I do not know if this is a stitching problem or a 360 problem.
Thanks again, Steve.
HansNyberg

I really wonder if this is a true cylindric. If you used PTGui I might believe that you used an option which is called vertical compression which you can use for cylindric images. However I do not know if Autopano has that.

Hans
HansNyberg

Ok
I did a search and it looks like it might have been included in Autopano.
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t5375-add ... rojections

Hans
Steve Schultz

Hello Hans, Thank You for the reply. I am using AutopanoPro for stitching and Pano2VR for the 360 tour. I checked many times to make sure I had the setting at cylindrical. It is great that users try to help each other but i am used to actual customer support
where I can ask a question that gets answered from the company that I paid to purchase the software. Not to come off as demanding but where do I get real answers? How do I talk to actual representatives? I can not work on this for weeks and try to figure it out
while a customer wants a product. Again I hope I don't come off as an a@@hole but where is the company support?
DSilver

Dear Steve,

as an alternative, TEMPORARY solution (to try/see if you can produce working/satisfactory product for your client, try downloading windows live gallery from Microsoft, and try using their PhotoStitch/Merge software. Simply Select you pictures and begin the automated process, after it is done, simply crop the file (only the top/bottom, the sides merge perfectly). When i used to do panos like these (provided they were not shot by fisheye's) the Microsoft Live Gallery had the fastest and best/automated process out their...

this is just ONE option i think you should at least try and pursue provided that you are not using a fisheye...

Hope this helps, let me know if it does...
Smourt

Steve,

As a flat image the horizontal lines will be curved, this is corrected when put into PANO2VR...

Did you crop this prior to loading into PANO2VR?

In both these images the horizon is off centre, so it is not a PANO2VR issue, becasue the horizon is not in the centre the PANO software will distort the image...

The horizon should dissect the image in half, half way between the ceiling and floor...

Sorted...now prepare your invoice...
Attachments
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg (68.74 KiB) Viewed 7851 times
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 7850 times
HansNyberg

Steve Schultz wrote:Hello Hans, Thank You for the reply. I am using AutopanoPro for stitching and Pano2VR for the 360 tour. I checked many times to make sure I had the setting at cylindrical. It is great that users try to help each other but i am used to actual customer support
where I can ask a question that gets answered from the company that I paid to purchase the software. Not to come off as demanding but where do I get real answers? How do I talk to actual representatives? I can not work on this for weeks and try to figure it out
while a customer wants a product. Again I hope I don't come off as an a@@hole but where is the company support?
Hi Steve

The compressed Cylindric settings are in the cylindric editor as a slider in PTgui. I do not know where it is in Autopano.
If you have used it the pano will not be true cylindric anymore and will not work in a cylindric viewer. Top and bottom will be curved.

However I got another idea,
Did you use a shift lens. I just tested and it seems to look like that.
You may not have used the shift in the first pano.

The true horisont seems to be above the centre line.
If you ad canvas at the top like this it works correct in Pano2VR. You just have to restrict the view at top in the Viewing settings. However I do not understand that Autopano would crop your pano automatically. It will never happen in PTGui You would get the pano saved like this one with extra canvas.
Attachments
cylnyberg.jpg
cylnyberg.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 7834 times
Steve Schultz

Hello Hans - YES! I experimented with your idea and got the right amount of black on top and was able to straighten the horizontal lines. Smourt, thank you for your horizon explanation. Is this discussed in the tutorials somewhere and I missed it? How do I determine and set the horizon line? I was not even aware of this issue when I did my tests and always got straight lines so it did not even cross my mind.
Thanks much all and my apologies for any show of frustration. Steve.
HansNyberg

So did you use a shift lens?

If not you must have tilted the camera down 10-20 degree to get this. I still wonder about the Autopano auto cropping them. It is not a nice thing to do even if I know there are photographers who actually ask for it.

Hans
Smourt

No worries glad ur sorted...
I dont use AutopanoPro, but in PTGUI (which is almost idiot proof) you can still shift the horizon up by dragging it accidentally, this would not explain why it happened twice with yours though...???

I am afraid to say... try and try again...the pano thing is a steep learning curve... but at least it is pretty short...

Stephan
Steve Schultz

I used a 18mm equivelent wide angle lens (non shift) about 3 feet off the floor. I cropped the stitched pano in photoshop to get rid of the bulges on the top and bottom so I wouldn't have to restrict the view in 2VR.
That is probably not the correct workflow but I had no problems with my other tests. The horizon line is an Autopano Pro issue. I did a quick test this morning and looking at the Autopano editing
window it was apparent that the image was not vertically centered but I got straight lines anyway. It is something I will be sure to keep in mind. Just starting out with this and have a ways to go.
Thanks, Steve.