Optimal Input-Output settings for Partial Panos

Q&A about the latest versions
samkittner

I have been shooting hdr panos for the past few years...primarily for print and publication work. Most of my panos are 180-240 degrees. You can see my work at: <http://kittner.com/panoramas.php>

I am interested in allowing web viewers to be able to zoom in and pan around my panos. Since I'm not shooting full 360 vr panos, I am looking at making either quicktime or flash partial panoramas as prescribed by Pano2VR software.

I want my viewers to be able to zoom in and see nice detail. I wonder if you have recommendations as to what file size I should input into pano2vr? Or perhaps, as long as it is high resolution, it might not matter if the input file is big, but more importantly is the cylinder height which seems to affect how much zooming can happen?

I am looking for any advice on optimal parameters to output my pano movies so that I have a good balance of zoom capability and file size that is not to large/slow for people access from the web.

Many Thanks,
Sam
360Texas

Hi Sam, Welcome to the forum

Yes, I did take a look at your website to better understand your question.

Typically we take full 180 x 360 spherical panoramas. Cylinders can be fun too.

Only issue I see is the viewing visitor can zoom in too far and the screen will become pixelated. So I would set the FOV to 100 and the max zoom in to maybe 50 degrees view angle.

As far as image dimensions and file size... suggest Full original dimension and file size. When converting to Flash... Pano2VR does a great job in file size reduction. I can get a Flash 1.5mb from a 97mb 16bit pano.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
samkittner

Thanks...I'll give it a try.
Best,
Sam