Cylindrical panos appears to be curved up

Q&A about the latest versions
peleleung

I have got some cylindrical 360 panos that were shot in a tilted angle (up). After importing them to Pano2VR 2.1.0 (Mac), they appear to be curved up as if the software had known the original shooting angle. Although the panos were shot in tilted angle, they have already been straightened in PTGui. In other words, they look perfectly level in Photoshop.

As expected, this issue doesn't affect other cylindrical panos shot in a levelled angle.

My questions are:
1. How does Pano2VR "know" the original shooting angle?
2. How can I adjust it in Pano2VR to correct the curved-up effect?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Pele Leung
Wim.Koornneef

Hello Pele,

If I understand you correct then the horizon isn't in the middle of your image, if so then add some height to the bottom part of the canvas ( in Photoshop) to get the horizon in the middle of the image. This extra part of the image will be transparent or colored.
In Pano2Vr you can limit the viewing angle of the player to avoid that the extra part of the image is visible.
Bij correcting the horizon to the middle of the image the curved issue will be solved.

Success,

Wim
peleleung

Hi Wim,

Yes adding blank space manually works well. I have also tried to restitch the panos as it also creates blank space due to tilted shooting before my cropping but it just takes too long. Your approach is much quicker.

Apparently Pano2VR has some unexpected behaviours for cylindrical panos when setting the viewing angle - the preview doesn't completely functional as WYSWYG. However, this functionality appears to be fine for 6+1(zenith) VR panos.

Thanks for your help.

Pele
thomas
Chief Gnome

peleleung wrote: Apparently Pano2VR has some unexpected behaviours for cylindrical panos when setting the viewing angle - the preview doesn't completely functional as WYSWYG. However, this functionality appears to be fine for 6+1(zenith) VR panos.
Yes, this was a bug in 2.1.0. This should be fixed in 2.1.1. Btw: There is also a new tutorial for partial panoramas.
MfG, Thomas