Directional Sound

Q&A about the latest versions
HMS Beagle

I gotta say, of all the things you can do with a QTVR, directional sound was my favorite. It does add a certain wow factor to a pano for even people who are familiar with them, it would be great to be able to add them to a pano2vr pano.
Geo
ps. looks like I "picked" the wrong time to lose my license key.
Jan_T

Hello Thomas,
i am currently playing around with background audio. Is there any chance, that in between the next 3-4 weeks we will have audiodata inside the pano-swf? without the need of embedding an external player? (with looping option?)
Jan

> to all zoom h2 users and sound recording panographers:
did anyone test an in-ear mic like the okm by soundman? should be a good solution to record sound for a real immersive pano experience.
jwesq

thomas wrote:Sorry, but moving turned into a nightmare.
Ifully understand. I have the same problem every time I get a divorce. When I saw your update posted, I was in extacy :D I'll just have to be a bit more patient.

Regards,

John
jwesq

Jan_T wrote: > to all zoom h2 users and sound recording panographers:
did anyone test an in-ear mic like the okm by soundman? should be a good solution to record sound for a real immersive pano experience.
I've taken a look at their web site and their ambient sound samples are impressive. What would we do for a pan? Turn around slowly while recording? And it wouldn't be easy to synch it. Biggest problem is that it's a bit expensive for us poor Brits. Are there any alternatives out there?

John
Jan_T

Its true, those in ear mics only are making sense in combination with directional sound in the panos. apart from that, they are a nice possibility to record high quality sound with almost invisible mics.
i do not know a cheaper product. but a good microfone is allways expensive, i think.

another thought:
as long most people are using their home computers to see the panos, it doesnt make to much sense to provide perfect clear and directional sound anyway. just think of that small loudspeekers in the most systems... no one is putting on headphones to see panos. ----> ?
jan
wolff

Quote: "did anyone test an in-ear mic like the okm by soundman? should be a good solution to record sound for a real immersive pano experience."

Hi,
I did! I own a pair, using it with the Edirol R-09, and I am deeply impressed by the sound quality of this pair of mics. The only thing one has to pay attention to is that the mics are a bit wind-sensitive, plus you'll have to be very quiet and keep still during recording process if you are making in-ear recording.
Note that some of the OKM need "plug-in-power" (5V).

Quote: "another thought: as long most people are using their home computers to see the panos, it doesnt make to much sense to provide perfect clear and directional sound anyway. just think of that small loudspeekers in the most systems... no one is putting on headphones to see panos."

I think that's a point! But why not ask the user to use headphones? The one who ignores such a hint will also ignore quality and atmosphere of a great pano.

Regards,
Wolff
Last edited by wolff on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwesq

It's looking more interesting. But has anyone got any experience of using these mics with the zoom H2 recorder?

And is the power pack necessary for recording ambient sound?

John