Cube faces over 4500px crashes Pano2VR

Q&A about the latest versions
enrico

Hi to everybody !

I've just downloaded the latest versione of Pano2VR, and installed it on my PC running Vista64.
I've set the maximum memory usage to maximum (1,5Gb) because I've 16Gb installed in the system.

I've tried to convert a big equirectangular 360pano in QTVR format. The original TIFF size is about 250Mpix/8bit (about 750Mbyte).

All works fine for cube face sizes less than 4500pix, but if I try to go over (I'll need about 5500pix) the software crashes and appears the windows alert (winwows is searching for the problem...)

After that, I've tried to run thesame project on my old PC (WinXP, 2Gb RAM) but the problem is still there: this time the software don't crash, but it generates a .mov file of only 3 Kb (unreadable by QT!).

Do you have an idea of what's wrong ?
THANK YOU !

Enrico
thomas
Chief Gnome

Pano2VR needs to prepare the cube faces uncompressed in memory. For 4500px this needs 4500x4500x4x6 = 486MB! This also the amount of memory needed on the clients machine. During compressing and decompressing the memory need can double so I guess this is hitting the limits of a 32bit application. I also guess that QuickTime will get into trouble at those resolutions. You can try to decrease the memory hint for Pano2VR to give more memory to the qtvr compressor.
MfG, Thomas
martyhr

Hi Enrico,
could you send a link to pano of cube size of 4500px?

I am curious.
Marty
enrico

Thank you Thomas.

I understand the 32bit limitations, and probably the Linux x64 version has no problems with these very large images. Everyone has tried this?

Yesterday I tried to convert the same 250Mpix image using the PTGui's x64 utility, and the process was successfully completed.
The resulting mov files is correctly displayed by Quiktime 7.5 on my WinXp laptop.
Sure, the interpolation quality is lower than the P2VR's one ...
...so I hope for a Windows x64 release of Pano2Vr, soon !! :wink:

ps: soon I'll provide a link for a work of mine.