Better security- Flash or Quicktime viewer?

Specific Q&A about the new Flash export
andrew222

Hi,

I'm hoping someone has already dealt with this issue I have.

2 big hotels have asked for copies of the virtual tour that I normally host on my own site as they now want to also display it on their own sites.

After adding my logo to the downshot of the panoramas, I use Pano2QTVR to make a Quicktime file with protection enabled. I have now added the Flash Pack (& love it) and was thinking about letting them have copies in swf instead of Quicktime as they were concerned about people having to download the 30mb QT plugin.

Just did a demo and viewed it on the internet, then had the idea to try and save the swf using Sothink SWF Decompiler. The damn thing saved it, opened it and offered me the 6 cube faces on a plate! Anyone could remove my logo from the down shot and stitch it together again. Perhaps it's only me that's corrupt and thinks that way :twisted:

Is there any more protection that I've missed for the Flash format ?

I do want to use the swf as I can add an image for the preloader and feel that more people have Flash 8 installed but as I'm a little obsessed with the security of the file, perhaps I should stick with Quicktime ? I'm not bothered about people being able to save the panoramas as there seems to be no way around that, it's just the opening and editing of the file I'm not too happy with.

Look forward to any replies and Happy New Year

Andrew
thomas
Chief Gnome

btw: The same goes for QuickTime. If you go in Firefox to "save page" you will find the QTVR on your disk and with the JPEG extractor from the freepv project you will have the cube tiles. You can also make screenshot, drop them into PTGui and you will have a pano from every player around... There is no 100% security. If someone wants to steal your work he will find a way. Sad but true. Just think of the millions that the movie industry spent for the now already hacked HD DVD format. But on the other hand I know of ways to do not make it that easy.... :-) you will see in Pano2QTVR version 2.0
MfG, Thomas
andrew222

Thanks for the reply Thomas.

I didn't realise that the QuickTime files could be opened also with your average program. Oh well, perhaps I should start to worry less and just get on with it.

I never really worried about it that much before until the 2 large hotels asked for copies to show on their own sites. I trust neither of them so will set up something to sign regarding the terms. Atleast I can now use the flash version and throw in a preloader image.

Looking forward to seeing your additions to make the extraction more complicated in version 2 :wink:

All the best

Andrew
hum@no.id

Who much takes care of protection its authorship, beside that starve nerves...

Commercial VR product is sold to client, and i'm already not interest..
who puts signature on my work...

Let blooms one hundred colours :wink: ... ill and trick not to root out...

DUM SPIRO SPERO!
andrew222

Hi hum@no.id

My concern was that the panoramas would be on loan and were still my property.

For the clients that have their virtual tours hosted on my site I do the panoramas at a cheaper rate as they keep my logo at the base and pay a yearly subscription. Also my visitor and search engine stats are boosted when they direct people to their own tour.

I agree with you regarding panoramas that are actually sold to clients but then the price triples as I gain nothing in the long run.

I will be letting them use the flash versions of the panos as I can throw in the logo also at the preloading stage :)