Alpha

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Thomas
I have noticed something really strange concerning Alpha.

If you set a rectangle to alpha 0 , its still active although you can not see it.

If you set the rectangle to alpha 1 and use a button to toggle to alpha 0, the area is no longer active :?:

Similar problem with setting images on top of each other, setting the top image to alpha 0 on mouse over causes a fast flicker, when the top images reaches alpha 0 it also becomes inactive.

Not a problem and easy to over come, just thought you would like to know. :D

Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
thomas
Chief Gnome

Hmmmm.... I will try to make this consistent with the next version.
MfG, Thomas
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Thomas
This Alpha problem is being a bit of a pain. :evil:
It seems that the fault differs from web browser to web browser.

I set tool tips / text boxes in my skin to alpha 0, and visible.
I set an action in a button to change alpha of the text box to 1 on mouse enter.
On mouse leave I set the alpha of the text box back to 0. This gives a cool fade in and a quick to disappear so the next text box can fade in.

This works perfectly in IE7 and flash 10.

What happens in IE6 and Flash 9 is the tool tip is visible on initial load, leaving a nice mess in the tool tip display. Mouse over the buttons and they would start to disappear.

I have implemented a quick fix on all the panos on my website, which took several hours, I started another thread “Help needed” asking every one to test a couple of panos. So far it seems to be all working.

FYI

Cheers and all the best, :D
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
jwesq

It's good to hear that I am not going crazy. I hit the same problem last week - and thought it was me - and spent hours working out a way round. It was like the bad old days of FPP.

John
erik leeman

Text + alpha values never worked with Flash 9 until version 2.1.0 (I think it was).
Unfortunately, with this problem solved v2.1.0 came with new, far worse transparency and visibility issues that were difficult or, as in my case, impossible to find a fix for. I was VERY happy when Thomas decided to undo those changes and published v2.1.1, but as a side effect those text+alpha problems were back too.
I haven't yet, but you could use it to your advantage: you can add text that only people still using an old Flash9 plugin can see.
This way you can try to persuade them to install Flash10 for a better VR-experience, while Flash10 users won't see the message!

;)

Erik
thomas
Chief Gnome

Erik is (as almost always) right. Alpha with text doesn't work in Flash 9. The remaining issue with the visible + alpha 0 should be finally solved in 2.2.2. (Maybe I should try to release it on Monday? ;))
MfG, Thomas
Hopki
Gnome

Thanks T
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com