Geolocate Map issues

Q&A about the latest versions
keith@fachwen.org

Hi,

These days I mostly use Pano2VR to upload outdoor panoramas and tours to Google Maps. Recently I've been asked to shoot a tour of an indoor climbing wall here in Eryri, Wales.

I have two floor plans I can use (attached). I have added them to a new project in Pano2VR and I seem to be able to Geolocate these floors over the Google Satellite view (once I worked out that pressing the Escape key exited the placement process). So they should be reasonably accurate. I have set 'Anchor GPS to floor plan' and clicked on 'Georeference' from time to time.

I add nodes to the Tour Browser and then drag them onto the right place in the floor plan. All seems ok so far. Setting N is no problem.

However, when I switch to Google Satellite Maps the GPS coordinates of the nodes are very random. Some are correct, others way off. I notice the actual Lat and Long are not changing when I adjust the position on the floor plan as well.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Thanks.

(With the floor plans - is it ok for them to have an border?)
Floor 1.png
Floor 1.png (81.85 KiB) Viewed 44868 times
Floor 2.png
Floor 2.png (53.22 KiB) Viewed 44868 times
keith@fachwen.org

More experimenting this morning. Adding new nodes to either of my 2 floor plans does not seem to auto add the right GPS coordinates from the map/floor plan.

A right click on the node in the floor plan has this pop-up menu:

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 11.09.47.png
Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 11.09.47.png (23.43 KiB) Viewed 44680 times

And the GPS coordinates are updated. All good really. I can at least now move forward with the project :)

I think I would still like some clarification as to what is meant to be going on. I'll check to see if when I subsequently move a node will it's GPS coordinates change too.

Thanks.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Your floor plan images need to be the same size and scale so they can overlay.
Opening them up in Photoshop they can not be overlayed over each other.

ng.gif
ng.gif (849.08 KiB) Viewed 44676 times

You should be able to open the ground floorplan in Photoshop, then add new a layer, then add the 1st floorplan and they should overlay exactly without having to move anything.

ok.gif
ok.gif (965.11 KiB) Viewed 44676 times

You can then Geolocate the ground floorplan and copy the Lat/Lag.

Using GPS from Map will then work as should.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
keith@fachwen.org

Thanks. I've had better architects drawings now. Means I can match the floor plans to the outside wall boundaries as shown in Google Satellite view.

Straightforward to edit these drawings and end up with the 2 floor plans in Pano2VR exactly overlapping, same size, etc.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Yes easy to do in Photoshop, but if you had not resized the floor plans, this would explain why the pins do not align properly.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
keith@fachwen.org

On another note ... can you enlighten me on exactly what the Georeference button does?

The help text says:

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 13.54.26.png
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 13.54.26.png (15.32 KiB) Viewed 44650 times

Is it copying the Geolocation of each separate floor plan, or the nodes, or both?

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 13.58.23.png
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 13.58.23.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 44650 times
Hopki
Gnome

Once you have geolocated a floor plan, this button copies the location data to the other floor plans.
Again it is important that all the floor plans are to scale, in other words, you can overlay them.
Please see this page: https://ggnome.com/doc/pano2vr/tour-bui ... roperties/
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
keith@fachwen.org

Thanks, that all makes sense 👍🏻

Yet another 'one more thing'. Is using the measuring tool when geolocating a floor plan optional or mandatory?

My floor plans seem to work without having to use it so far. I ask because I was on-site this morning and I carefully measured the lengths of some internal walls with my laser measure so I can do some distance calculations later if I want to.

Regards,

Keith
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Keith,
It is optional, but the floor plan will be the correct scale when located on maps if the measurement tool is used.
If it's not, then the floor plan may be the wrong size and will need to be resized using the grab handles.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
keith@fachwen.org

Thanks for your help with this. The project is now progressing well. I have taken almost 200 panoramas and am geotagging / uploading to Google Maps in batches. The Google ‘’Elevator’ buttons seem to work well too 👍🏻 Better than the last time I used them?

i have another Google Maps query. I’ll post that in the other Forum.

Here is a link to a node in the tour on Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1383674 ... ?entry=ttu