Mailto issue

Q&A about the latest versions
paulk

Hi all

I've come across an issue with the way Pano2VR deals with mailto links.

I have for years been using mailto function using standard language with no problems, however I have come across an issue recently.
Here's the problem:
If I create the following:

mailto:me@123.co.uk?&subject=Subject here&body=Some text here

I get this:
email-1.jpg
email-1.jpg (137.28 KiB) Viewed 13322 times
Note the leading line return in the body - this is new and unwanted.

Furthermore if I use the following mailto (to insert line breaks) all I get is a black screen when previewing the pano!

mailto:me@123.co.uk?&subject=Subject here&body=Some text here.%0D%0A%0D%0ALine break here

If i remove the '%0D%0A%0D%0A' (recognised way to insert 2 line breaks in the mailto link) the preview works but all I get is a one line of text in the email body.

I have tried all recognised ways to get, what was working before without success.

I would appreciate any input here as sending a one line email looks a bit unprofessional.
We should be able to send full featured HTML and or text only emails with line breaks etc.

Hope someone can help.

As ever thank you...
Hopki
Gnome

Hi paulk,
Using:

Code: Select all

mailto:me@123.co.uk?subject=Touching base&body=Hi how are you?%0D%0ASingle line break.%0D%0A%0D%0ADouble Line break.
Give s this

e_mail.jpg
e_mail.jpg (9.28 KiB) Viewed 13315 times

Seems to be working ok, I am on a Mac and using Mail.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
paulk

Hi Hopki

Thank you for your reply.
Somehow theres a problem here - I know your code is valid (been using it in other applications for years), but when i include "%0D%0ASingle line break.%0D%0A%0D%0ADouble Line break." the internal server will not disply the panorama.
All I get is a black screen, however if i omit the "%0D%0A" characters all is fine (no line returns though) and the pano renders ok.
Any thoughts?
paulk

Also just discovered that it won't work on a live hosted server either! Same problem - Black screen
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
This is working for me, this is a temporary link to a test: https://vtour.cloud/kg9e1lpz/628dejox/
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
paulk

Hi Hopki
That's very strange - ok I'll need to investigate further then.
Is there anything obvious that I should be lookking for that would cause this sort of behaviour?

Many thanks
Paul
paulk

Hi Hopki

I have now done the following on my production machine(windows 11 64 bit)

Uninstalled Pano2vr v 7
Reinstalled Pano2vr v7.0.3 64 bit

Downloaded your test project (wiso) where you created the email builder from variables.
Added values exactly as you did for line returns ran project - black screen on internal server, black screen on remote server.
No black screen if line return characters removed!

Installed pano2vr v7 onto seperate windows 11 machine - (Surface pro) - clean windows 11 install no other software except OS, pano2vr & browsers.
Repeated same procedure as above - exactly same results.

Have tried using differrent browsers, Chrome, Safari, firefox even tried Edge! - no change

I have to conclude that this must be a bug or some other issue which has not been identified that is interfering with the behind the scenes javascript from excecuting correctly.

Can you please investigate? I know it works for you on a Mac but it's not happening here on a windows machine.

Are any other users reading this thread who have come accross similar situation?

Many thanks

Paul
paulk

Hi Hopki again

I've been delving into the javascript - namely the skin.js. I have found the culprit!

Here's what is being created in the js file:

function pano2vrSkin(player,base) {
player.addVariable('email_mail', 0, "me@me.com", { ignoreInState: 1 });
player.addVariable('email_title', 0, "Test", { ignoreInState: 1 });
player.addVariable('email_body', 0, "Hi how are you?1D1AASingle line break.1D1A1D1ADouble Line break.", { ignoreInState: %5 });

Note the problem. It appears the skin is being compiled so that the characters %0D%0A are being written as 1D1A. This of course invalidates the javascript and hence the black screen.
If I edit the skin .js file after publishing (in VS code) and type in the correct characters - everything works as it should.
Plus this fixes the empty line space at the start of the message in the Thunderbird e-mail Client.
Can you confirm this your end - is this a windows or pano 2vr issue?

Look forward to your reply

Paul
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Paul,
Just to let you know, I tested this on a Dell Windows 11 laptop using the attached project and using Windows Mail.
This is what it looked like:

windows_mail.jpg
windows_mail.jpg (76.18 KiB) Viewed 13241 times

As you can see all working as expected.
We will take a look at this but as you can see for us it is working as should.

Please try the attached project, does it work for you?
Regards,
Attachments
project.zip
(25.1 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
paulk

Hi Hopki

Thank you for your response.

Ok - the project works exactly as expected - with the output as supplied and after a seperate output build.

I see the mailto url is embedded as a click event (go to URL) on the email button in the skin. This would seem to be compiling ok in the skin.js file (line 253):

me._svg_mail.onclick=function (e) {
player.openUrl("mailto:me@123.co.uk?subject=Touching base&body=Hi how are you?%0D%0ASingle line break.%0D%0A%0D%0ADouble Line break.","_self");
}

However, if you fill in the exposed variables (body) with the above text (%0D%0A etc...) this is what gets compiled in skin.js (line 9):

player.addVariable('mail_body_text', 0, "Hi how are you?1D1ASingle line break.1D1A1D1ADouble Line break.", { ignoreInState: %5 });

This results in a black screen.

Seems to be an issue in how %0D%0A when entered into the exposed variable gets translated into the skin.js file?
paulk

Hi all
Has anyone been able to look into this yet?
Many thanks
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Paul,
We will look into it and is added to the list.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
paulk

Thanks Hopki