control visibility of pinned image

Q&A about the latest versions
wking10

I added a pinned image (of a neon light) to panorama. Now I am trying to animate the visibility/opacity of this neon light using a timer element in skin. Problem is, how do I access/control the properties of this pinned image via the skin?
Or is there any way to achieve this, other than using animated GIF for the pinned image?
wking10

Under Action of the timer> Source: Activate > Action: Alpha > Type: Set Element Alpha > Target: (the element ID of the pinned image is not listed here).
Only element IDs created inside the Skin Editor are listed. So, how to target it?

Also, I mentioned using GIF earlier, but apparently pinned image will not take GIF format.
benu

I got it to work (sample here), but it took a little effort:

- make an image patch over the neon section, extract, add the neon effect onto the patch in Photoshop

- bring the updated patch into Pano2VR **CONVERT AS A HOTSPOT*** (this is critical)
[I can't figure out how to get a pinned image to respond to skin actions or variables -- but I can get it to work if it's all coming from the skin. I use the patch to help me get everything aligned up right... sort of.... read on...]

- Delete the custom image for the hotspot, and create a hotspot in the skin.

- Add an image as a child of the skin, centered with the skin. Make the image your neon-glow patch.

- [This is an annoying part I couldn't figure out how to work around] set your hotspot to deform with the 3D, and then adjust the hotspot distance (all this is in the Hostpot options) until the new image scales up properly. [In my mind this should be easy to do, since it was lined up in the first place, but I can't find any simple math that takes care of it.]

- Create a True/False variable, create a toggled timer that uses "Not" logic to turn the timer true/false every xx seconds.

- Have that True/False variable drive the visibility of the hotspot using a logic block on the visibility.

Not sure if that helps much, but as a relatively new user, this was a useful exercise for me. Thanks.

The project files are here.
wking10

Hi benu, thanks for the advice.
You were totally right about hotspot being the key. Instead of converting the pinned image to hotspot, I ended up using a point hotspot altogether. Yes, the challenge is make sure hotspot image snapped into position during the 3D distortion.
Another alternative is to use a pinned video. But for this purpose (turning a neon light on and off), video is a bit too much.
benu

Well, I take it all back.

This thread has been haunting me, thinking there's a better way.
And I just found this post from Hopki, which led me to (ahem) this part of the manual, and about 2 minutes later, I had built this version that works just as well, and which requires one-tenth the pain and effort. The process:

1. Create a PATCH over your flashing element. Extract to Photoshop, build your bright neon overlay.
2. Convert the patch to a pinned image, use your new neon overlay as the source. NAME YOUR PINNED IMAGE SOMETHING USEFUL (I called mine "LitUp")
3. Make a skin. Add a Timer: Type set to "Start"; Repeat set to "Toggle"; Timeout to whatever you prefer (I set mine to 0.500 seconds).
4. Add an action to the Timer: Deactivate. Action: Media. Type: Visibility Media. Add a Transition Time if you want. And... finally... (this is the key)... Target: LitUp (or whatever you name your pinned image)

That's it. The image now flashes on and off. And it's perfectly aligned now. And we were fools, both of us. Resourceful fools, mind everyone.

(Hopki, you may stop sighing now.)

EDIT: Hang on there, wking10 — you started that initial post with Hopki. Well, well.
wking10

hey benu.
that's it!
The Visibility Media is what I need. I read about it somewhere but was just too blind to find it in the action list. That just made me more of a fool, I'll leave you out of that haha.
(even better we can do transition with the Visibility Media, just accomplished the goal).
Thanks again for the time you spent in trying and trying, benu. Really appreciated.