Oculus Go or Quest for Virtual Tours

Q&A about the latest versions
Roland

Hi,

Which headset do you guys recommend for our Pano2VR virtual tours: Oculus Go or Quest (2)?

The Quest has a higher resolution but its controllers and 6DoF seem overkill for virtual tours. Also, I heard that the Go provides a better experience when it comes to viewing 360 videos.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roland
3DV

In short: the Oculus Go is discontinued, the Quest 2 has much higher resolution and currently the Quest 2 has a price that is close to what the Go costed, so I'd choose the Quest 2 even if you won't use the 6 DOF.

But if you're not focussing on Oculus alone, or if you don't want the Facebook integration forced by Oculus, you might want to check out the Pico range of headsets. The Pico G2 4K headset also uses 3 DOF same as the Go but has a much higher resolution and doesn't need a Facebook account to be linked, which is great for businesses. If you prefer the functionality of 6 DOF you could look into the Neo 2 from Pico, but it's more expensive than the Quest 2.
Last edited by 3DV on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruud van Reenen
3DV - Real estate artist impressions and animations
VR Tourviewer - Experience Pano2VR tours on Oculus Go, Quest, Rift, Pico and Cardboard VR headsets
Roland

Thanks, I will look into the Pico headsets.
3DV

Good idea!

For an example of what using Oculus VR hardware bound to a Facebook account means, see attached image below.

Pico is only focussed on selling hardware, and not on harvesting and selling user/business data.
They also allow much more control of the VR hardware: you can have a real kiosk mode (ie: the user can't exit the VR app) which is ideal for exhibitions and demos, and the headsets can be easily managed using MDM (Mobile Device Management) software.
Attachments
Oculus AGB.png
Oculus AGB.png (607.81 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
Ruud van Reenen
3DV - Real estate artist impressions and animations
VR Tourviewer - Experience Pano2VR tours on Oculus Go, Quest, Rift, Pico and Cardboard VR headsets
Neal

3DV wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:58 pm Good idea!

For an example of what using Oculus VR hardware bound to a Facebook account means, see attached image below.

Pico is only focussed on selling hardware, and not on harvesting and selling user/business data.
They also allow much more control of the VR hardware: you can have a real kiosk mode (ie: the user can't exit the VR app) which is ideal for exhibitions and demos, and the headsets can be easily managed using MDM (Mobile Device Management) software.
I wish that was something specific to Oculus. However, it generally applies to every device used to access the internet. Those items are all things that your browser shares with every website you access.

I for one support our Google and Facebook overlords that monitor every post. May they continue to prosper and should they see fit, move my site to the top of their great search lists. :D
Roland

3DV wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:58 pm Good idea!

Awesome, the exhibition/demo mode sounds interesting and I'm particularly interested in synchronized playback of multiple headsets (using MDM). On their website they state that there's free software available that can achieve this. I already contacted them to receive more information. As far as I know these kind of MDM applications are quite expensive so I'm very curious what kind of solution they provide.