Improvement tips

Q&A about the latest versions
Neal

I have to say that I am not real happy with how my panos look. I don't know if it is the camera, shooting method, processing, or the setup in Pano2VR. But they just don't look right. Part of it is that objects appear to be moving closer and further away as you pan around the view.
360Texas

May we see too ? URL
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Neal

One example: http://www.houseviewonline.com/Images/2 ... /pano.html

I think there are a lot of areas that I can improve.
360Texas

Hi Neal,

I have to say that I am not real happy with how my panos look. I don't know if it is the camera, shooting method, processing, or the setup in Pano2VR. But they just don't look right.

A lot of polite questions for later but here are few constructive comments:

Good job on the lighting. We usually just turn on all the interior lighting. Then expose for the primary light... like outdoor prime light. Interior lighting is probably fluorescent. All in all it appears that you might have during post processing adjusted for chromatic aberration and white balance. Color balance appears natural.

There is minor sharpness issues but not enough to distract from seeing the property...

Regarding the "don't look right". Yes, that is a result of being zoomed out too far creates small amount of visual barrel distortion caused by spherical projection. Like looking down a 3" diameter PVC pipe. To overcome this visual distortion effect try zooming in a couple of clicks.... that tends to flatten the image visually. We use degree limits: Min 50° zoom in and Max 110° zoom out. This approximates normal human eye view.

I like the floating transparent floor plan. It is useful navigation method.... as is the drop down menu. "Quick way to show the property"

Appears that the tripod cap in all the imaging. One good way to cover the tripod head is to cover the tripod head with a circle with photographer name and contact information + the realtor information. Its free advertising future work. AND you can have the realtors client focus on their primary interest.... the product... selling the property.

Other stuff
A lot of polite questions like... camera, lens, number of images taken, stitching software used. Sharpness technique used. We use a Canon 5d full 35mm sensor Sigma 8mm fisheye and camera settings f/8 and aperture priority.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Neal

Camera: Insta360 One R Twin version
Lens: The One R has 2 lens modules. One is a single wide-angle, the second is 2 lenses shooting front and back. 7.2mm equ focal length.
# images: One HDR shot, 3 images Exposure +/- 0.6. Each image contains a front and back fisheye image.
Stiching & HDR: Both done in PTgui.

Processing (using DNG files):
Lightroom: Remove Chromic Distortions, slight sharpening, slight texture, moderate noise reduction, moderate color, and luminance smoothing.
Stitching and HDR in PTgui. Output as TIFF files
Photoshop: General color, exposure, contrast, etc changes. Removals.

We have a few Canons that we use for our main photos. I was hoping the Insta360 would be a faster alternative.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Nice skin!
With regards to image quality, I would have expected better from this camera, are you processing the DNG file or just using the JPGs?
As Dave says, your default FoV is far top zoomed out, the default is 70 and will give less distortion at the sides when you rotate,
You need to look at the radar beam in the map, it's not sitting correctly on the map pins.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Neal

I wish I could take credit for the skin. I purchased a template and then modified it. Changed the floor plan, some things with the icons, a little this and a little that.

I also expected better quality from this camera. It produces a 3040 x 6080 DNG file and also a insp file. The insp file can only be used by the Insta360 studio and it does a terrible job of stitching inside images.

So I am starting with the DNG files. Pano2VR only allows for output in jpg or TIFF, so I output into 16 TIFF bit files. That is what goes into Pano2VR.
360Texas

Just curios ... which panoramas were taken with the Insta360 camera... and what Insta360 lens settings did you use ??? Like "priority" and ISO settings.

Yes we have a Insta360 one....but the settings might be similar.

And DNG to 16bit TIFF file type is a great work flow...
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Neal

They were all taken with the same camera.

I was using the HDR mode +/- 0.6 with I think 3 images. So -0.6, 0.0 and +0.6.
In HDR there is not priority, F-stop or Aperture settings.

Which Insta360 One do you have?
360Texas

Hmm here is my Insta360 one Camera
Insta360camera.jpg
Insta360camera.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 4551 times
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Neal

That appears to be the One X. They are both supposed to have resolutions of 6080 x 3040.
360Texas

Ahh yes.. One X
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Neal

Do you have some examples I can see?
360Texas

Sure... not good work.. but still...

https://360texas.com/gallery/montezuma/montezuma.html
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Neal

I think I am going to stick with using the canon. Using the PTgui batch sticker, it doesn't take much longer to stitch 4 HDR sets vs the 2 from the Insta360.