the one thing that keeps bothering me....

Q&A about the latest versions
deedee123

Hi,
i crash coursed myself the last months in learning the program and i'm happy with the results, if something doesn't look good at least i know it's my own fault and i should make it look better.

except one thing... and it keeps bothering me and it just doesn't look professional and i can't change it.

>> the hotspots, or any graphic not-3d enabled element, keep jumping / zig zagging /not move smoothly with the background when the scene is rotating.

i like to have a scene rotate slowly (if there's no interaction) so visitors see it's not a normal picture. but those elements keep "dancing" .. looks cheap. clearly the elements "moving grid" is much ore coarse then the background. (??)

are there any plans to improve this in a future version?
i hope so,

david
360Texas

May we see YOUR website with dancing hotspot icons >>> URL PLease
>> the hotspots, or any graphic not-3d enabled element, keep jumping / zig zagging /not move smoothly with the background when the scene is rotating.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
deedee123

Hi,

sure,
an example is on https://cdn.360server.site/1933/index.html

you can press play or wait a few seconds for the rotation to start and you'll see the graphics "dance"..

i hope there is some solution for it (it doesn't seem to be something i can change myself..)

david
Neal

One thing that I noticed was that there were a lot of missing files. A lot of SVG and tile jpg files are not being found on the server. Every time the browser tries to grab one of those files it ties up a connection. That slows everything down.

So to start off, I would make sure all your files were uploaded. Use the browse devtool console to get a list of the files. You will need to do that for each node.

See if that helps.
360Texas

Here is example of your server ERR's for your starting scdn360server page.
Hope this helps

ERRscdn360server.jpg
ERRscdn360server.jpg (205.3 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
The hotspot wiggle will be looked at in the next major release as the player will get lots of tweaks.
But until then it will have these small movements.
That said this is due to many things that were not possible at the time.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
deedee123

whoops sorry about the missing files, i'mstill working on that one and especially the CDN version can have a little delay in updating and getting it all right, i should have checked before sending the link. i also regularly check it with developer tools. anyway don't worry about that, it's under control! :D

but good to know next update will address the wiggle issue, looking forward to it all being smooth!

best,

david
Neal

deedee123 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:54 am whoops sorry about the missing files, i'mstill working on that one and especially the CDN version can have a little delay in updating and getting it all right, i should have checked before sending the link. i also regularly check it with developer tools. anyway don't worry about that, it's under control! :D

but good to know next update will address the wiggle issue, looking forward to it all being smooth!

best,

david
On the CDN version, what modifications did you have to make to the javascript to make the CDN work? How does the tile uploading work?
deedee123

the CDN is an all automatic thing, once i upload to my server it gets distributed.
as my server is in the netherlands and i am in china (and my clients too), it does speed things up when visiting the 360's.
but the CDN distribution can take a while, from a few minutes to 2 hours or so, after updating/uploading.

if your server is CDN 'enabled" you don't need to make a separate version. i now only embed with "https://cdn.website...." instead of "https://website...."
also i share direct links with the cdn link.
in the html file i replaced the link to pano2vr.js with a direct link to the cdn version, but that's not really necessary.
Neal wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:37 pm On the CDN version, what modifications did you have to make to the javascript to make the CDN work? How does the tile uploading work?
Branigan

Hopki wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:41 pm Hi,
The hotspot wiggle will be looked at in the next major release as the player will get lots of tweaks.
But until then it will have these small movements.
That said this is due to many things that were not possible at the time.
Regards,
Glad to hear it's being updated. Here are some current version examples.

https://youtu.be/-kQWpnBPVw0

An old iPad works as a good torture tester and it just cannot display the hotspots (small though they are) very well. It's not just the maths that's obvious jiggling them about, it's also a lag of many frames behind the panorama.

The second half of the video is on a PC with the hotspots set to 3D Distorted. They stay perfectly in place, unless - as you know - there is a timer driven animation on them, when they skip about randomly.

The same 3D Distorted hotspots on the iPad also jump about because of that bug, but do not appear to lag as many frames behind as the normal, flat hotspot. No video of that, as it might just be an illusion; but it's definitely true that on the PC they stay stuck to the panorama like glue, so may be following a smoother mathematical and display path?
deedee123

Branigan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:07 pm

An old iPad works as a good torture tester and it just cannot display the hotspots (small though they are) very well. It's not just the maths that's obvious jiggling them about, it's also a lag of many frames behind the panorama.
it's not just old ipads! i want to have presentations on larger screens (interactive screens for shopping malls for instance) for clients but it's just not possible the way it is now.
i have some nice architecture shots where after a few seconds the scene starts rotating. it now feels like cancan hotspot dancers come in. (on a very normal 1920 x 1080 screen). it doesn't quite fit the mood i try to set. and i know that Kuula, where i started my 360 testing, didn't have that problem (with either flat or 3D hotspots or pictures).

anyway, hope the solution is near! i keep fingers crossed the update is not far away :)
david
Branigan

deedee123 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:17 am
Branigan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:07 pm

it's not just old ipads! i want to have presentations on larger screens (interactive screens for shopping malls for instance) for clients but it's just not possible the way it is now.
i have some nice architecture shots where after a few seconds the scene starts rotating. it now feels like cancan hotspot dancers come in. (on a very normal 1920 x 1080 screen). it doesn't quite fit the mood i try to set. and i know that Kuula, where i started my 360 testing, didn't have that problem (with either flat or 3D hotspots or pictures).

anyway, hope the solution is near! i keep fingers crossed the update is not far away :)
david
Oh, I know. It's on every single platform, but that really shows it off very obviously. But blah blah excuses "HTML DOM elements" that, as you point out: Kuula does not have a problem with. Nor do several other systems. :(

Don't hold your breath for the fix though, as Hopki said "next major release", which would be v7 and a chargeable upgrade and we've just had a minor upgrade, so nothing likely for several months.

Never mind, it's not like it's the most fundamental, important aspect of the panorama... :wink:
deedee123

honestly for me it's a very very important element of the panorama. and it almost let me choose another program for my 360 projects, but (while i was testing and considering how to move ahead with my projects) i thought i was doing something wrong, and it would all look better and smoother with some setting change, a virtual resolution or whatever.

it's like you try sell a new car (and not a cheap one), and there's something rattling. yes it still drives, yes it's still fine, but no, it should not be like that. especially when cheaper cars don't rattle. you take your potential client for a ride, they admire the styling and then... there's that rattle. then try telling them it's really top-notch stuff you offer.

i now try to avoid potential clients to notice it, and hope it's fixed (or at least improved much) soon!

david
Branigan

deedee123 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:03 pm honestly for me it's a very very important element of the panorama.
You have the option to set Hotspots to 3D Distorted, when they do not (or not as much, anyway) jiggle about. They are (mostly, on reasonable hardware) stuck to the panorama with no jiggles.

Problems are: They (and any text attached to them) will be displayed at a lower resolution than when they are 2D, and distorted text can look weird and is harder to read when not directly in front. Not found a way to make them at least the same resolution as the panorama, so that sucks.

Does have the advantage over 2D of them not appearing to shrink in size as they approach the screen edges, when the panorama pixels scale up, but they don't. Haven't found the scaling factor that can be applied to them - based on their offset from the centre of the screen and the arc that they should be following WRT size - that would compensate for that, so they look disconnected from the background, even more than is caused by their jiggling about.
3Dhotspot.gif
3Dhotspot.gif (3.49 MiB) Viewed 3624 times
No animation allowed on them, so no scaling/bouncing up/down to attract attention; as they jump around randomly due to a bug (I'll have to see if that was fixed in 6.1.9 actually... :| ) and they may need designing so that they stand out more obviously from the background.

I'm also looking at alternatives, because this program feels more like v1.1 than v6.1.9. Lots of whizzy features, but the fundamentals are....unpolished, to say the least. :(
deedee123

hi,
i don't like the blurry look the "3D distorted" produces.
i think the program is very nice (after a learning curve), but for this problem there's nothing to learn, just wait for the update.
i guess the cause is known, and other programs prove we don't need to experience dancing graphics. so i hope the fix is released soon!
david