WordPress plugin?

Q&A about the latest versions
tymzee

If I understand it correctly, the Pano2VR plugin for WordPress will not work for self hosted (GoDaddy e.g.) WordPress sites?
tymzee

tymzee wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:34 am If I understand it correctly, the Pano2VR plugin for WordPress will not work for self hosted (GoDaddy e.g.) WordPress sites?
Anybody?
360Texas

Yes we did read your comment.
No reply because our secure 360Texas.com site uses Bootstrap and is not hosted on Go-Daddy.

Maybe someone that uses WordPress might know the answer to your question.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Roy Reed

It works for me, but currently I only have an example on my local testing server, so can't share.
nexusmedia

You should be OK no matter the host, it's WordPress.com sites where I don't believe the plugin will work. I use the plugin on several sites that I host with no issue.
tymzee

360Texas wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:47 pm Yes we did read your comment.
No reply because our secure 360Texas.com site uses Bootstrap and is not hosted on Go-Daddy.

Maybe someone that uses WordPress might know the answer to your question.
Hmmm... not sure I understand or what 360Texas.com has to do with the question. (?)
Just wondering whether the plugin which allows one to post Pano2VR output on WordPress sites works with self hosted sites or whether they have to be sites hosted by WordPress.
tymzee

nexusphoto wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:02 pm You should be OK no matter the host, it's WordPress.com sites where I don't believe the plugin will work. I use the plugin on several sites that I host with no issue.
Ah-- ok great. I didn't scroll down far enough to see your response. More than likely there's user error involved so I'll give it another shot. I think what I may not have understood was how exactly to upload the package. As I remember I was simply trying to upload to the library but it did not "like" (recognize) that.

When you've created the package, how are you uploading it to your site?

Thanks much for the input.
nexusmedia

Hi tymzee,

When you've created the ggpkg file you need to navigate to the Media tab (see attached) in your WordPress install and click on Add New. Once there you can either drag and drop the ggpkg file into the main window or click Select Files to navigate to the file on your hard drive.

Keep an eye out for the package file size as you may need to increase the Maximum upload filesize limit on your WordPress install if this is set too low. I normally change this on fresh WordPress installs to 64MB or higher if I'm going to be uploading ggpkg files as they can be quite large on the bigger tours.

I hope that helps!

All the best,

Wil
Attachments
media-upload.JPG
media-upload.JPG (63.56 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
tymzee

Thanks much Wil!

Well, I am getting closer-- I think. I did attempt to upload the ggpkg file as you described and yes, I did run up against the "file too large" stop sign.

So am I correct in assuming that in order to increase the max file size I'll need to edit one of the WP config files? That's what I'm finding when I did a few searches. Easy enough it seems.

Final question if I may... so assuming I eventually succeed in uploading the package, how exactly do I create a link that brings up the pano? Is that done more/less automatically once the plugin is installed? I imagine that all this is blindingly simple for most, but some reason the light bulb just isn't going off in my dense noggin.

Thanks again!

Tim

nexusphoto wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:03 pm Hi tymzee,

When you've created the ggpkg file you need to navigate to the Media tab (see attached) in your WordPress install and click on Add New. Once there you can either drag and drop the ggpkg file into the main window or click Select Files to navigate to the file on your hard drive.

Keep an eye out for the package file size as you may need to increase the Maximum upload filesize limit on your WordPress install if this is set too low. I normally change this on fresh WordPress installs to 64MB or higher if I'm going to be uploading ggpkg files as they can be quite large on the bigger tours.

I hope that helps!

All the best,

Wil
nexusmedia

Hi Tim,

There are a couple of ways you can get around the max upload filesize issue. If you use cPanel on your hosting server this post here shows you how to change the settings: https://kinsta.com/blog/wordpress-maxim ... file-size/

If you're not using cPanel but still have server access you can try modifying the php.ini file; the post above also shows you how to do this. Make sure to take a backup before making any changes as you can very easily lock yourself out of the WordPress dashboard if you make a mistake editing core files.

Another option is to use FTP to get the file onto your server. You can see how to do this here: https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/bulk-u ... brary-ftp/

Once you've got the ggpkg file uploaded, you'll need to install the ggpkg import plugin. Follow the instructions here: https://ggnome.com/wiki/wordpress-plugin/

To add a pano to a webpage click the plus to add a new block and select Classic Block under Formatting. Once you have the Classic Block added click the Add Media menu option and browse to the uploaded ggpkg file. This will add a shortcode into the block editor to display the pano.

If you're using a visual builder plugin to build your webpages the process is very similar. You just need to get the shortcode for the ggpkg package and add it into your page or post.

I hope that helps,

All the best

Wil
Attachments
ggpkg-02.jpg
ggpkg-02.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
ggpkg-01.jpg
ggpkg-01.jpg (57.99 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
ggpkg-plugin.PNG
ggpkg-plugin.PNG (5.91 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
tymzee

nexusphoto wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:16 pm Hi Tim,

There are a couple of ways you can get around the max upload filesize issue. If you use cPanel on your hosting server this post here shows you how to change the settings: https://kinsta.com/blog/wordpress-maxim ... file-size/

I hope that helps,

All the best

Wil
Will--

Can't thank you enough for the detailed directions! I'll experiment a bit with the different options to see what might work best. The FTP info was interesting as it was obvious I could just FTP files but didn't know how to get WP to "see" them. The explanation in the link you posted provided that missing link:
Use a free WordPress plugin to register the files you uploaded with your WordPress media library
Simple enough I guess once you know what's involved. Just took awhile for that light bulb to go off in my case. Thanks again!

Tim
nexusmedia

You're very welcome Tim, Let me know how you get on :)

All the best

Wil
tymzee

nexusphoto wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:48 pm You're very welcome Tim, Let me know how you get on :)

All the best

Wil
Well... once I worked through all the stumbling blocks, such as adding:

define('ALLOW_UNFILTERED_UPLOADS', true);

to the php ini file, installing the PHP Zip extension and tweaking it to work, etc. etc. I'm happy to say everything seems to be working! Everything that is except figuring out how to load a package using a shortcode. From your previous:
If you're using a visual builder plugin to build your webpages the process is very similar. You just need to get the shortcode for the ggpkg package and add it into your page or post.
I'm using Beaver Builder on this particular WP site but can't get it to work from within that builder. In the shortcode, what ID is the package looking for-- the Node ID within Pano2VR? When I try that all I get is a "Loading..." message but nothing appears.
nexusmedia

Hi Tim,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I can't believe a month has gone by since I last logged in!

You asked: 'In the shortcode, what ID is the package looking for-- the Node ID within Pano2VR?'

So, for example, the shortcode would be something like [ggpkg id=145]. The id is what WordPress assigns to the media upload file.

Have you resolved it since you last posted or are you still just getting a loading message?

Wil
tymzee

nexusphoto wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:08 pm Hi Tim,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I can't believe a month has gone by since I last logged in!

You asked: 'In the shortcode, what ID is the package looking for-- the Node ID within Pano2VR?'

So, for example, the shortcode would be something like [ggpkg id=145]. The id is what WordPress assigns to the media upload file.

Have you resolved it since you last posted or are you still just getting a loading message?

Wil
Wil,

Actually, I've been sitting here staring at my monitor for a whole month, eating little sleeping less, waiting to hear back from you! :mrgreen: :roll:

But seriously... not unlike many others I expect we've had some "best laid plans" issues come up that's pulled me in other directions. However, I will definitely be getting back to this next week. Thank you very much for your follow-up. I'll let you know how I make out.