flash 10 output question

Q&A about the latest versions
colacao

when I choose Flash 10 output option and I open Vr with flash 9 installed I can read an advise:
"This content requires Adobe Flash Player Version 10 or higher"
I think It will be better not to put this advise because is posible to see it with flash 9 installed.It can be confussing for the viewer.
Cheers
thomas
Chief Gnome

This is gone with Pano2VR 2.2 beta.
MfG, Thomas
henri_smeets

Perhaps a custom image could be shown for a couple of seconds to notify the viewer that the pano would look even better with Flash 10. Or maybe it is only visible during the loading stage but that could be confusing if it loads slowly and the viewer thinks the grey preview is the Flash 9 version :(

Well, we'll see :)
thomas
Chief Gnome

The text comes from the HTML file so you can change this yourself. For example you can explain that it will look better with Flash 10,...
MfG, Thomas
gomi42

On my Vista version 2.2 beta doesn't solve the problem. After digging a bit into that topic it turned out that the function "ControlVersion()" in the java script "p2q_embed_object.js" return an error.

To make a long story short finally there is only a version dependent registry entry for the flash player "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Shockwave.Shockwave.10". The version independent key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Shockwave.Shockwave" without the "10" is missing. That why the function cannot instantiate flash and therefore returns an error.

The problem can easyly be solved by adding a test for version 10 explicitly:

Code: Select all

function ControlVersion()
{
	var version;
	var axo;
	var e;

// NOTE : new ActiveXObject(strFoo) throws an exception if strFoo isn't in the registry

try {
	    // version will be set for 10.X or greater players
	    axo = new ActiveXObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.10");
	    version = axo.GetVariable("$version");
    } catch (e) {
    }

if (!version)
	{
	    try {
		    // version will be set for 7.X or greater players
		    axo = new ActiveXObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7");
		    version = axo.GetVariable("$version");
	    } catch (e) {
	    }
	}

Then the function correctly return "WIN 10,0,12,36" on my system.

Michael
gomi42

The version independent key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Shockwave.Shockwave" without the "10" is missing. That why the function cannot instantiate flash and therefore returns an error.
I have to correct my statement a bit. Of course not the version independent key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Shockwave.Shockwave" is missing but the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Shockwave.Shockwave.7" that garantees backward compatibility. I am still not sure whether this installation problem occurs only on my machine or not. On my notebook which still has Flash 9 installed all keys from .1 to .9 are available. I should update the notebook to Flash 10 in order to see what happens with all the keys...

Michael