Has Touch

Q&A about the latest versions
Jmondo

Hi, in 6.1.2 the release notes state that "Components now use the Logic Block Trigger 'Has Touch' instead of 'Is Mobile' to accommodate iPadOS which no longer reports itself as a mobile device".

I just want to confirm that this is not an automatic switch and that "has touch" needs to be manually switched from "is mobile" in the skin editor in all instances. Is this accurate? Also, is there a reason "is mobile" still exists? Trying to understand if there's a situation where it would be necessary.

Thanks,
Jesse
jare

As I can understand this has do do only with iPads?
Jmondo

Yes, that's the purpose of "has touch" - just wondering why it wasn't an automatic replacement. Does "is mobile" still serve a purpose? Should I use both?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Guys,
If you look at the iPhone and iPad's Safari settings you will see the option: Request Desktop Website.

For the iPhone, Request Desktop Website is turned off and for the iPad, this is now turned on by default, this setting is how the device reports itself as a mobile device. So now the iPad reports itself as a Mac computer, as far as the browser is concerned.

So we introduced the "Has Touch", so no longer looking to see if the device is iOS, Android or Mobile MS, just if it has a touch screen.

This is good, think about it, a thumbnail menu which is still very much useable for an iPad but not for the iPhone, now the Is Mobile will target the iPhone and not the iPad.
You can use combos in the logic block, as an example use logo size if it "Has Touch", and use logo size if it "Is Mobile".
Or as I was hinting above, use Is Mobile to change a thumbnail menu for say a drop-down menu for the phone.
So now you can detect a computer, iPad and iPhone and use skin elements as necessary.

Of course, Android tablets will still use Is Mobile.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Jmondo

Thanks Hopki! Makes sense.
Jmondo

UPDATE: "has touch" isn't working for me. I have an object that is visible on load, with a logic block that says "if has touch is true, then visible false". But the object still appears on my iPhone.

Hopki, can you try on your end and see if you have the same result?

Thanks,
Jesse
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Jesse,
Has touch happens after the screen has been touched, so you can not really use this as you did with Is Mobile as there is no way to know the device has a touch screen until it has been touched.
My only thought son this is to use a splash screen.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/