Autoplacement is horrible

Q&A about the latest versions
KAaron

Hello,

I'm using an Insta360 Pro w GPS unit attached. The autoplace is horrible and I'm trying to understand why.

The placement does not come close to the reality. I am doing home inventories so I'm moving short distance pretty methodically. It should be simple, but the nodes placements make no sense. When looking at ghost nodes, they are scattered all about, in different directions. I can understand issues indoors, but when doing the exterior the nodes should appear close to reality. Instead nodes will be placed completely opposite of where they should be.

Thoughts?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi KAaron,
I am quite surprised by this as the Insta360 Pro is not a cheap camera and I would have expected the GPS to be much better.
Pano2VR uses the data in the image so it is dependent on the accuracy of the location data.

I have seen similar issues with the Theta but that's only because it picks up the location data from the phone, so when people run and hide to take the picture the location is taken from where they are and not the camera.

At least you can move the map pins in the Tour Map to correct their position easy enough.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
KAaron

The GPS unit is separate, but it is from Insta360 and made to pair with their cameras. There are about 85 nodes in this, so rearranging on the tour map will be quite tedious. Especially the interior between the first and second floors.

After this project is done I'm going to show Insta360 the map of locations and see what they say. But it makes auto placement useless for me.

Thank you!