Feature request: Identifying Google Street View places

iantresman

Google Street View works best when tours are assigned to places, rather than linear features such as roads and trails. When adding a place in the Google Street View panel, a list of both places and linear feature may appear. Is it obvious which are which?
  1. Some places have an icon, but not all of them
  2. Some names are both places and linear features
  3. Some names have a distance associated with them, eg. 120m (no idea what this means)
It would be useful if:
  1. Places and linear features could be easily identified.
  2. The list could be filtered by places or linear features
iantresman

I've done a bit more investigation on this, which can causes workflow issues with Pano2VR:

Pano2VR lets you select a Google Place for a panorama, but it lets you select a "proper" place, and a linear feature such as roads, trails and town names. The latter causes a problem, and will result in the Google API returning an error to the effect that the place can not be found. Pano2VR returns this message, and stalls the metadata uploaded, you then have to manually acknowledge the error, and click the Project button for each pano that causes the problem.

My workaround is to ensure that I do not select any Google linear features such as roads and town names. But I dot enter a Pano Title (in User Data). These Panos will now upload without error, and will display in the Google Maps "Your Contribution" as "Unknown place", though when you display the Pano full size, the title will appear. Connections also appear.

If you do add Google Map linear feature place names, it would be useful if Pano2VR (a) continued automatically after reporting the "place not found" error (or gave the option). (b) Highlighted which images have a proper place, and which ones have a named linear feature. The tour still uploads OK, the image display, and are connected.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
I have made a note of this and will put it in front of the developers.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Without going into to much detail Thomas has made some changes that should solve this problem in 6.1.2.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
YvonneA3

i am having the same problems as well, uploading the tour and streetview replys with unidentified place.
iantresman

I'm not getting this with Pano2VR 6.1.2, but I'm also trying hard not to select any linear features (roads, etc)