set north N-click / doubleclick issue

Q&A about the latest versions
markpalmos

Hi Martin,

I have uploaded another video to show you the issue, but the gist if it is this:

All my panos do not have GPS data and none of them face the right way when placed on Tour Map, so I have to use the N key to click and rotate the radar so when looking north on the Map, it is looking north on the pano too. This works well, (and I like the new thin line to help line things up by the way) but VERY often when I N-click and move, the radar and pano move simultaneously. So I have to click twice, once to remove the N word and once to drag the radar. The problem is that very often this is registered as a double click, so the pin moves inadvertently, even though the N key is still depressed. IMO the N key being depressed should inhibit moving the pin because this is a separate and distinct operation, and the need for two clicks to be able to independently rotate the radar also should be looked into.

Thanks! Here is the video showing what I mean

https://videoblurb.com/mp/n-click-move-issue.webm

Cheers,
Mark.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the video, it makes helping so much easier.
This is the first report of this being a problem, flood gates now open :lol:.

I can not reproduce the issue that when you press the N key and click and drag the compass in the tour map, the panorama still rotates rather than adjust North. Just to check what's your operating system, I am testing on a Mac.
Yes if you double click on the Tour Map it will add the selected node in the tour browser to the mouse's location on the map, so move the active pin to the mouse.

I can add a feature request that when the N key is pressed then you can not move the map pin, but I don't think this will help!

This is my thoughts, when you press the N key the radar adjusts north, if you pressed the N key and the radar still rotates the pano in the viewer then one of two this has happened.
The first is the N key was press too late, or second, the N key being pressed was not detected so maybe a lazy keyboard.
It is also possible Pano2VR is not detecting it all the time but as said I have not seen this so far.

I am not saying the problem is the keyboard or what's behind it :wink: but do you have a spare keyboard you can try and also make sure you press and hold the N key before you click and rotate the compass.

I will copy this to the developers and let them decide what they will do but I would be interested to know if a new/different keyboard sorts this out.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
markpalmos

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the response.
I have investigated further and have identified when the issue arises.
IF you press N key, sometimes the Viewer will show an N with a compass arrow overlayed, sometimes it does not. I don't know how or why this is not consistent, but as you see in this new video I made, when the N shows whilst pressing down the N key, the radar cannot be rotated independently from the Viewer angle of view. One has to click the radar a second time so that the N and compass overlay disappears, and only then will a click and drag work to move the radar separately. This is what causes me to double click as I need to get rid of the N/compass first, and the double click moves the pin inadvertently... so I think it would actually help to have the double click not active if N is depressed, but also it would be good to have consistency with whether the N/compass is shown when pressing N key or not. At this time it is not predictable or consistent.

https://videoblurb.com/mp/N-click-not-w ... shows.webm

Thanks mate, Mark.
markpalmos

PS. I'm on a PC, but as you see, the keyboard is working perfectly every time, N is depressed and registered with each attempt.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Mark,
After seeing your video I have managed to reproduce the issue you are having!
It's todo with window focus and how you are using the software.

The intended way to set north was always to use the viewer, so click and rotate the pano to face north, then press the N key and using the viewer click and rotate the compass.

But we then introduced the click and drag of the radar beam in the Tour Map to speed things up.
To use this you first open the tour map, click and drag the radar beam to rotate the pano to look towards North. Release the mouse then press the N key and then drag the radar beam to set North.

What you seem to be doing is using a bit of both!
So rotating using the viewer but then setting north by using the tour maps radar, this will not work very well as you have seen as only the window with focus can be used to set North.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
markpalmos

Hey Martin.
Well, the way I do it is the easiest way since I do not need to know, in every shot, where North actually is!
I have no idea where north is in the photos. It is much easier to point the image perpendicular to the wall where the front door is, and then I can simply move the radar so it's square with that wall too. Done.

Knowing exactly where north is inside a building that is not facing exactly North or East or South or West is not easy at all... so my method does this accurately and without any guesswork or calculation needed.

So if I am to use my method, ie face the pano to square with the front door wall (or any chosen wall really) and then rotate the radar to match the direcion. If I am to use that method, should I move the radar FIRST to face my chosen wall and then press N to rotate the pano image to match? In my method, the word/arrow NORTH is arbitrary, it could be simply called "view angle".

Mark.
markpalmos

What my process is doing is matching the viewing angle. It will, buy default, be correctly aligned N-E-S-W as I will be placing the panos on a map which is correctly aligned itself...

Perhaps it should have a different key, perhaps O, to OFFSET the radar, and you press O and click and drag to offset the radar to match the view angle of the current pano?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Mark,
Yep, I get what you're doing.
It is much easier to point the image perpendicular to the wall where the front door is, and then I can simply move the radar so it's square with that wall too.
What you describe can be done using just the viewer or just the tour map.
As said the issue is your using the viewer to rotate the pano and then the tour map to set north.
If you used the viewer to point the image and then press the N key and used the viewer again to set the radar then you will not have any issues.
Or use the radar to rotate the pano and then press N and use the radar to set north.

I have sent a message to the devs to see if it is possible to have both the viewer and tour map have focus at the same time so when you press the N key this allows you to set North in either the viewer or tour map.
At the moment this can only happen in one or the other.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
markpalmos

Hi Martin,

"use the radar to rotate the pano and then press N and use the radar to set north"

EDIT.
I can work both methods now, but its one of those things you have to know how to use first, not easy to just work out yourself. BTW, I am not setting North, simply aligning the angle of view on the viewer and radar. I say that not to be pedantic, but just in hope the existing tools can be reworked a bit to make it more intuitive... mentioning "North" is confusing to me.

Thanks for your input and help,
Mark.