360 Video, loading and buffering

Q&A about the latest versions
Kai

Hi, I started to test a project with a single 360 panorama video clip (1:14 min).

Using Pano2VR locally is a nice experience. I can set hot-spots, include sound, can set a logo and use auto-rotation. Great!

The issue is, putting the project online it is the same as with every video under html5: it takes ages till it begins to play. The problem is, HTML loads the entire video first till it starts playing. That’s the difference to Facebook, Vimeo or VeeR. Uploading and including a video from there starts automatically after the first bytes are buffered.

I could upload the plain video to Facebook, etc, but then I wouldn’t have the nice features of Pano2vr projects…

Are there any ideas on how to handle it? Smaller videos aren’t an option due to poor quality and low resolution. The video should start whilst it is loading.

Thx, Kai
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Kai,
This could be improved with encoding, example HandBrake has a Optimised for Web setting which puts headers in the video which helps it stream.
Also your server had host provider has a part to play, maybe ask the question and find out if your server is optimised for streaming.
I know my own server is not but when I use HandBrake and web optimised video its ok.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/