EXIF information lost after patching and export

Q&A about the latest versions
Svendus

Hi Klaus
We use to manege the images in Adobe Camera Raw and save to .tif 16 bit before PTGui stitching,
then we import into Pano2VR 5.1 to add personal info, Patches and so on :D

The Theta S images goes often trough Adobe Light Room if there are Fringing & Chromatic Aberration

Note: we never go to to Cubic Projection, there the Exif info are actually lost
The Theta examples are Exif info before and after above workflow and converting to Equiangular .tiff or .jpeg
Image Image
visual360media

Sorry svendus but your posts are not really helping. Do you work for g gnome? You do lose exif or you don't?

The work flow klaus and I are using is losing exif we believe. From theta into pano2vr, export nadir to ps, edit, save and back to pano2vr. Then save equi. Post to Google maps and it no longer sees GPS. To be fair I've not checked images in exif viewer yet. But the bug was reported as long as 8 months ago. And now we have the beta. Has the bug been acknowledged and or fixed. As it is it is a pain in the backside. If someone from g gnome could get back to us it would be good. It may be a problem elsewhere. Imo the g gnome software should leave all exif intact.

Thank you.
Kind regards,

John Goulding
visual360media

Having re read Hopki post I'll try later to DESELECT exif on preferences, see if that helps.
Kind regards,

John Goulding
360Texas

I think Svendus wrote:
Note: we never go to to Cubic Projection, there the Exif info are actually lost HIS ANSWER WAS YES
The Theta examples are Exif info before and after above workflow and converting to Equirectangular .tiff or .jpeg HIS ANSWER WAS LOOK AND READ THE THETA EXAMPLES see comment below for link
Hope this helps
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
visual360media

Doesn't really help does it Dave. Not sure why you need to use caps. Has the bug been fixed or not? I'm on mobile so the links to samples and zip files are not much use. We just need to know if pano2vr is losing the exif since the recent bug fix update? If not , is it being addressed? Maybe Hopki can chime in but last I saw he was shooting 360 theta videos on holiday! Can the software programmer help? I've loads of images to shoot soon and this is adding time to my work flow. A simple answer to the above would be good as may need to look at using other software. Thanks
Kind regards,

John Goulding
360Texas

I suspect two minutes looking at his proof finding you could read for your self:

EXIF REMOVED
1. IF you use Pano2vr to convert the THETA to Cube - fix the nadir - then convert back to Equirectangle image (with the tripod cap correction) then you loose the EXIF in the process. EXIF data is NOT written in the converted file.

EXIF Compare the before and after Correcting the Nadir using Pano2vr.
2. IF you use Pano2vr's technique for correcting the THETA nadir to remove tripod then apparently the EXIF is written in the image file header.

THETA -S JPEG writes EXIF GPS information in the image and is available to include the GPS data along with about 100 other data elements.

Exif Version : 0230

GPS Altitude : 179.2 m Above Sea Level
GPS Date/Time : 2017:01:29 13:31:36Z
GPS Latitude : 57 deg 16' 57.63" N
GPS Longitude : 13 deg 38' 8.95" E
GPS Position : 57 deg 16' 57.63" N, 13 deg 38' 8.95" E
Image Size : 5376x2688

THETA - JPEG NADIR is corrected using Pano2vr patch technique EXIF information in the image slightly different format and is available to include the GPS data along with about 100 other data elements.

Description :
GPS Latitude : 57 deg 16' 57.63" N
GPS Longitude : 13 deg 38' 8.95" E
GPS Img Direction : 292.5
GPS Img Direction Ref : True North
GPS Version ID : 2.3.0.0
GPS Map Datum : WGS84
Image Width : 5376
Image Height : 2688

Hope this helps
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
visual360media

Sorry Dave.

I didn't know there was another technique for removing and replacing nadir when using theta. Can you point me in right direction? Thank you. (I just export nadir, ps, than back in and save). Should i be doing another way?

I guess all others busy in the background working on the new 'Google Street view pano editor tool' 😉
Kind regards,

John Goulding
kbaerwald

Wow - lot of trafffic here since my last visit :D !

I am not frequently using Pan2VR so please help me: when loading an ThetaS pano and doing the so-called patching by generating a psd which I manipulate in PS - do I use a conversion to Cube OR do I do it the "Pano2VR way" of nadir patching (see attached snapshot)? I am getting confused now - sorry. My understanding was that I never converted the ThetaS pano into a cube projection at any time during the work with Pano2VR. After the patching I transformed the resulting image into an equirectangular tif which contains the GPS data (yes) but NOT the typical EXIF info.

I think I described the workflow pretty well in my recent thread - so which steps should I do after loading the pano into Pan2VR?

Regards, Klaus
Attachments
patch.PNG
patch.PNG (13.45 KiB) Viewed 36381 times
visual360media

Hi Klaus

Now i am at my pc it seems that i am the same as you. I am opening the equi, looking down at nadir, patch, then edit.
So are they saying that when we export the patch, is it actually a cube? No one seems to really know the answer.
If the way we do it is as a cube, then what is the other way?
Kind regards,

John Goulding
360Texas

As noted in the RED EXIF notes below... both are using the same standard EXIF Version : 0230. Most current version of EXIF is 2.30 [read 0230]
Maybe this version means it contains ALL the EXIF elements required but maybe not in the same sequence order.

More about EXIF "Exchangeable image file format" maybe found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exif

Note that GPS data was added to the EXIF format in 2004. See Wikipedia "Geolocation" section.

How to use the very useful Pano2vr 'Patch' feature in the Pano2vr Documentation can be found here.
http://ggnome.com/doc/pano2vr/5/patches-extract/

We personally do not have a need for EXIF information in the image file.

Hope this helps
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
visual360media

We are editing as per the video, been doing that for a while. The links to exif info are interesting but not addressing the problem.
I thought for a minute great, mirror ball would do, but even that loses all exif.
So unless anyone can tell me otherwise, or come up with a solution i think the answer is no, the bug has not been addressed, the image loses exif. Shame as it was brought to the attention 8 months ago.
Export as image, edit, save, exif gone. Add mirror ball patch, export (save), exif has gone.
exif.jpg
exif.jpg (94.44 KiB) Viewed 36374 times
Kind regards,

John Goulding
Svendus

Hi guys
When using the Patch Tool in Pano2VR
You do not have to convert the images att all
The Patch Tool work with copy layers and the image will keep the original quality

This screen cast are from the Linux Version using Gimp
jump over the installation 3minutes on Linux on this link below

https://vimeo.com/156805727#t=194s
Last edited by Svendus on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image
visual360media

Not sure what you mean. We are editing image then saving. Thanks for the reply and video but you are creating project. That method may retain exif.

If you have time could you edit just one image, not 2, edit nadir using your method. Then check exif and see what you have got. Thank you.
Kind regards,

John Goulding
Svendus

Here are an example project check the map and info

see the image full size

BFN
Image Image
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Guys,
The next beta of 5.1, beta 2 will have the exif data.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/