Carboard , VR

Q&A about the latest versions
fudja

Hi,
i´ve been using pano2v to create virtual tours for a few years, but i still use version 4. (still good enough for me).Now i saw that new version is able to create Virtual reality panos.
I was pretty impressed of VR and carboard possibilities, but im still a bit confused of what single node mono, and single node stereo means. What is the difference?

Another question is - Will i be able to do this http://ggnome.com/samples/pano2vr_5/karel/ just with Pano2vr 5, not the Pro version?

Thanks in advance
k.ary.n
Gnome

Hi!

I was just reading this article myself and thought...I need to add some explanation here.

When we talk about tours, we refer to each image in a tour as a node.

When discussing stereoscopic panoramas (panoramas created with two lenses to create a 3D image) we sometimes get lazy and just say stereo. When you make these panoramas, you end up with two images. One for the left eye and one for the right eye.

So, with that:

A single node mono [panorama] = a single panorama that does not have a stereo effect (it is not stereographic); it consists of only one image.
A single node stereo [panorama] = a single panorama that includes images for the left and right eyes; creating a 3D effect [when put together in Pano2VR].
Multi node = a series of panoramas that usually create a tour

Doing this in the standard version is possible, but would be a lot trickier and require some coding, plus you would need a project for each eye. But, if you're up for the challenge. ;)
360Texas

Hi Karyn. You wrote
When discussing stereoscopic panoramas (panoramas created with two lenses to create a 3D image) we sometimes get lazy and just say stereo. When you make these panoramas, you end up with two images. One for the left eye and one for the right eye.

Thinking about your stereo comment...
I have seen 1 camera with two forward looking 180° lenses.
I have read about panorama photographers mount 2 forward looking cameras with 180° lenses on a horizontal bar.

Most panorama photographers only have 1 SLR camera. Very few have 2 SLR cameras with the fisheye lens type. I understand the notion of lens parallax offset and depth of field.

Other forum members might be asking themselves could we take and process 1 panorama and name it pano1.jpg. Then create a copy it.. and name it pano2.jpg.
Answer might be: it really is necessary to have 2 panorama taken from left to right only say 50 mm or 2 inches offset from each others fisheye lens center point of rotation and when concurrently viewed to create the apparent 3rd dimension depth.

===== Creative thinking outloud =====
Which brings up an interesting thought. Possibly use the Ricoh Theta - S for Stero.
Yes, the Theta has 2 opposing 190° (yes not 180°) fisheye lenses.
Mount your 1 Theta-S directly over the tripod center point of rotation. Then relocate the Theta-S say 50mm to right and take a second panorama.
Now you have 2 panorama to use. :shock:

Since I brought this Theta usage concept up... I am currently working on something to support it. Will post pictures of the simple hardware assembly AND 2 sample offset Theta spherical panoramas for forum members to use themselves to create Stereo. This is going to a bit of fun. I have all the hardware bits gathered.

Here is a link to the workflow and .zip sample panoramas 16mb

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10456&p=44877#p44877
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
fudja

A single node mono [panorama] = a single panorama that does not have a stereo effect (it is not stereographic); it consists of only one image.
Does it mean that without a Pro version i will not be able to create carboard output suitable for google carboard glass without any other programming necessarry?Even a single node output ?
k.ary.n
Gnome

You can certainly use the standard version for a single, mono panorama for Google Cardboard. But for stereo panoramas, you'll probably want to use Pro.

Sure, you can use one camera/lens, but you still need to tell Pano2VR that the final output should be stereo and you still need to link 2 panoramas. And to answer fudja's question, this is easier done in Pano2VR 5 pro. Looking forward to your Theta examples!