Two vintage aircraft cockpits

Panos/Objects created with Pano2VR/Object2VR/Pano2QTVR. You are welcome to post your recent creations here.
HaraldJ

For the Military Aviation Museum Tangmere I did two interactive panoramas of classic English Electric aircraft:

* The Canberra B.2 is a "walk-through" from the bomb aimer position via the cockpit to the navigator (sorry, I had a typo in the URL!), and
* The Lightning F.53 has a "day view" and a "night view", with the instrument lights switched on.

Descriptions of all the dials and switches (that will pop up when hovering with the mouse) will follow, for the Canberra, they are "work in progress" by former Canberra pilots.

Both examples are commercial work, using focus stacking and HDR to deal with the confined space and difficult lighting conditions in a hangar.
Last edited by HaraldJ on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harald Joergens
Harald Joergens Photography
Nutfield, Surrey, United Kingdom
HaraldJ

For the English Electric Lightning cockpit panorama I have added 150 descriptions for all the instruments, dials, and switches.

They are all polygon hotspots. I had hoped they would work on touchscreen devices if I set the hotspots to "always visible", but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have set the alpha of the hotspot background and border to 5%, hoping this way the hotspots would react to touch events, but they don't (not at 100% either).

Am I missing a trick to get polygon hotspots to work on a touchscreen device?

Thanks!

Harald
Harald Joergens
HaraldJ

For the Lightning cockpit panorama I have added point hotspots on top of the polygon hotspot areas. It's not perfect, but now all the labels for cockpit instruments, dials, and switches show up on any touch device as well. I've set the alpha for the point hotspots to 0.005 to have them dimmed.

Is there a known way to disable the point hotspots on a non-touch device?
Harald Joergens
360Texas

That's a BIG WOW !

I did not see the point hotspots. I just moused over device, knob, dial and a very easy to read description appeared.

LOTS OF WORK that panorama. Great Job !!!
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
HaraldJ

Thanks Dave!

The big amount of work happened outside Pano2VR - the photography took a long time, using focus stacking and exposure bracketing, which also meant a lot of processing - HDR and focus stacking.

All seemed well, with point hotspots on top of polygon hotspots, to make the labels readable on touch devices as well. Today I hear (and can reproduce the problem) that G**gle Chrome shows two hotspot labels slightly offset to each other, one for the point- and one for the polygon hotspot, a behaviour I haven't seen in any other browser:

Not sure how to deal with that problem!
Harald Joergens
adriansinc@gmail.com

Very nicely done, how was it done? or is that a trade secret?! i'm mainly asking about a tripod in a confined space, nadir etc.
HaraldJ

The panoramas were created with a Canon 5D Mk II and a Canon 8-15mm fish eye lens. The camera was tethered to a notebook to automate exposure bracketing and focus stacking.

The panoramic head assembly used is made by Really Right Stuff, the tripod used for the Canberra is a Manfrotto carbon fibre.
For the Lightning, with a really confined space, I have used a Manfrotto 529B Hi-Hat, a very small and solid "mini-tripod".

The confined space was certainly a factor, and without focus stacking it wouldn't have been possible.
Harald Joergens
adriansinc@gmail.com

Interesting! I still can't figure out how you got the nadir in the cockpit.
HaraldJ

I took a photo without the tripod from approximately the same position, looking downwards, edited the tripod out, and replaced it, after a bit of "free transform" in Photoshop, with the same area of the photo taken without the tripod.
Harald Joergens
adriansinc@gmail.com

I see, thanks for sharing! I did the same for a car, thats why I was asking as it was not ideal handheld, iso had to go way up. I thought you may have had a contraption that helped with that.
OWendel

Cool stuff!!

I did a cockpit from of Pilatus P2 quite a while ago: http://www.oliver-wendel.de/pano/flash/ ... p2_out.swf.

The guy on the back seat is the owner.

Regards
Oli
Hopki
Gnome

Nice, thats to all. 8)
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
RobM

Love that Lightning Harald! A nightmare of work, I know how it feels to sit with a shed load of post processing work too.

On the subject of aircraft, one from my collection. The Lavatory was a nightmare. polished surfaces everywhere.
http://www.stillmation.com/L500_chinese/