Misc questions, External cubefaces and probably more.

Q&A about the latest versions
PopUnoNkoK

Hi

I asked this question on a different forum because I thought that I had to buy pano2vr in order to get acess to this forum.

However, I will probably have a couple of questions in order to make up my mind if I think its time for me to emigrate from Flashpanoramaplayer to pano2vr.

This is the first:

When I asked at the other forum if it was possible to keep 6 cubefaces external from the flashfile in the same way I today have in flashpanorama player. I want this because I kind of like that "structure". I then got the answer that it was possible with the settings "select multi-res and still limit it to a single level". I got the answer from Smooth that I have seen verry active on this forum aswell, I ll see if he sees the folowing question. I ask the following question here since its a more apropriate place.

How exactly do I set the multi.res settings so I get 6 cubefaces? I cant get it to work, still keeps getting many more images. Im usally having the cubfaces size around 1600px x 1600px.
Thanx in advance.
JimWatters

Yes the image files can be externalized.

One of the reason to use multiresolution is the capability to view high resolution panoramas on some very small memory mobile devices.
I recommend having multiple resolution cube face sizes and then breaking those cube faces down into smaller tiles. Both Flash and HTML5 can share the same files.

Presenting panoramas with each cube face as a single large file will restrict what hardware can view the panorama. The panoramas are not displayed as quickly. When you zoom out there can be shimmering.

To use mutiresolution feature but restrict it to only one size without any tiles then.
On the Multresolution tab
- Enabled | checked
- Level Tile Size | 1600px
- Format | Cubic
- Levels | Add a single level of 1600px

If you are doing this so you can reuse the cube faces already generated then you will also want to make sure the Filename matches your existing schema. Uncheck Generate Files, and uncheck 1 pixel overlap if your existing cube faces don't have overlap.
360Texas

That is correct using multi-res typically around 100 + tiles.

I think you are talking about conversion to 6 cube face tiles.

CONVERT FROM PANORAMA IMAGE TO 6 CUBE FACE IMAGE:

Create a new folder c:drive called "TEST".
Copy your panorama equirectangle image (say 6000 wide x 3000 high px) to this folder.

Open pano2vr.
This open a new pano2vr project window.
Save it 1 time to your new folder called "TEST"
In top near center find "Input" click the browse button and select your equirectangle panorama image.
You should now see a small thumbnail image of your panorama image.

Below find and click CONVERT button
This opens a small dialog box ... look for conversion type called CUBE FACE (0,...5,6)
Click the go button and your original image remains unchanged... and you will now find 6 new cube face tiles, named cubeface_0.jpg or .tif, cubeface_1.x same for 2 ,3 ,4, 5 .

It is possible to modify any of the cube face tiles in Photoshop or your favorite image editing software. Remember to save the modified cube face image as the same file converted tile. This is because when you convert the cubefaces back to the modified original image_1.jpg or .tif it will use the cube face set of images.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
PopUnoNkoK

I havent have time to try out your suggestions but I will.

Since you guys seem to have loads of "know how" on the Pano2Vr software I have to ask my underlying question.

Is there a simple way to get Pano2Vr to load each pano when its hotspot is first clicked? Not load all panos at once.

I now have a tour with 20 panos. I feel that it is not a good idea to let the user wait for ALL panos to load before he/she can watch the first pano.
I would like a checkbox, something like, "Load all panos at once or load panos dynamically."

How do you guys resonate? Whats your "stand" on this?

//Peter
360Texas

More about converting to cube face's from software documentation...

http://ggnome.com/wiki/Converting_Images_(Pano2VR) note- pls add trailing ")" for some reason the cut and paste drops that ) character.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Peter,
Is there a simple way to get Pano2Vr to load each pano when its hotspot is first clicked? Not load all panos at once.
In the Flash outputs Setting Tab select Externalise Panorama images. This will then create an images folder and put all the cub faces in there with their preview images.
The cube faces for each node will now only be loaded when needed.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/