impossible to work from cubefaces image

Q&A about the latest versions
fraggle

Hello,

I installed pano2vr because one of the feature was to obtain directly from a "box render" means cubing projection, a quicktime vr. Unfortunalty it doesn't works with my render. I've tried to render 600x450 (1.33 ratio), as the big ben sample (http://wiki.panotools.org/Cubic_Projection) is 600x450! But without result.
The cubicface image render with my software (vray using the box camera preset), stitched the rear face to the lower end of the image when the sample of big ben place the rear face on the end right! Does the problem came from that position of the rear face or is it just a question of dimension (ratio) or paysage /portrait outpout.
What are you advice to use succesfuly pano2vr with my cubic face render?

Thanks for your help.
fraggle

Dear all,
After several hours of test, I find out that the file must be name with "cubic" at the end to solve my problem.
In case you get stack like me, trying to figure out why your cube face ilmage is not detecting by pano2vr, then add this cubic at the end of your name file (like bigben_cubic.jpg).
360Texas

Hi Frafra, welcome to the forum. We are in Texas USA UTC -6 time zone so this is the first opportunity to read your comments.

Yes, cube faced images must be all the same dimensions with 'cubic' in file name.

Normally, a stitched full 360 spherical panorama image is 5000 x 2500 pixels. You can use Pano2vr to create 6 sided cube face image set. These cube face images already have cubic appended to these output files. Once you have edited these cube faced image, you may now re assemble back into a 5000 wide x 2500 high single stitched panorama image.

Thank you for bringing attention to this issue.

Thomas Doc Note: Please add comment in program documentation regarding cube face files must have specific filename structure and provide example.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
erik leeman

360Texas wrote:Normally, a stitched full 360 spherical panorama image is 5000 x 2500 pixels.
Huh? Since when is that so?
If you mean that any 360x180 degree equirectangular image must have a 2:1 width-to-height ratio to work in Pano2(QT)VR okay , but those dimensions are by no means limited to figures like 5000 x 2500!
Perhaps you have good reasons to make this statement, if so please forgive my ignorance and explain?

Regards,

erik leeman
360Texas

Well, each to their own flavor of panorama.

I guess I should have said... Normally WE... etc

And yes a 360 x 180 spherical panorama does have an aspect ration of 2:1.

And no we do not take cylinder imaging. Others might.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
hum@no.id

Hey... look header post :!: he asked about CubeStrip crossing texture - aspect 4:3. often used on 3D modeling for environment maps, but very "heavy" for web-pulishing...

Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
360Texas

True this is a CROSS cube face configuation.

Sorry I thought you were talking about 6 individual cube face image files. Which are typical.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
hum@no.id

@frafra... I don't understand, in than trouble?... this crossmap verywell "see" Pano2VR on correct to process...

load this iamge and test'it
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
360Texas

Ok, lets start over. I used this work flow to convert the Cross type image to a Equirectangluar image and then create a QTVR.mov output display.

Open Pano2VR
Select INPUT Big_Ben_cubic.jpg [600x450]
Convert INPUT select TYPE "Cross"
Convert file type to an Equirectangle
Convert file WIDTH = 600
Convert file type = TIF[click the convert the image button]

Image output is named "Big Ben cubic equi.tif" [600 x 300 which is 2:1 aspect ratio]

Now click the +ADD button to create a QTVR .mov output file
Use standard default settings
Produces an acceptable test only QTVR display.

Hope that helps
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
fraggle

thanks you guys, I appreciate your help,

As I said, the file must be named "cubic" otherwhise the soft doesn't recognized the cubic format input.
Once said, I do not face the problem anymore.

But I face a new one. I've shoot my flat using a real camera this time (not a virtual camera from a 3d software). I used the very good autostitch soft from Matthew Brown (http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html. But the outpout obtained is cylindrical. It's fun for exterior panorama, but for my flat it looks really bad, so I want to try the cubic format as it will certinely better fit this square room.

Any idea how I can convert this cylindrical panoram into a cubic one? I tried it but straight from pano2vr from all the possible format available, conversion... but the result is "apocalyptic"

Thanks

frafra
hum@no.id

Cylindrical map has not POLAR SPOTS (zenit /nadir).
You wizard - do impossible to possible?
fraggle

Why impossible, I'm not an expert of panorama format. I believe that the camera can be constraint to, let's say +/-20° from horizontale line.
It's means that you can't go for a full 360°. In this case you don't have to care about zeith/nadir, do you?

Otherwhise I will stay with the cylindrical outpout.

Thanks anyway.

Frafra
hum@no.id

I don't know technologies of your shooting and equipment... I answered your question
Any idea how I can convert this cylindrical panoram into a cubic one?
answer - no... attentively look at upper pics
smooth

Drop your cylindrical image onto a 2:1 canvas in Photoshop (Make the canvas the width of your cylindrical panorama and the height "exactly" half the width) flatten the image and save. The image is now a equirectangular spherical image. Import to Pano2VR and convert to Vertical/Horizontal Cross or whatever "Cubic" format you desire. You will have "background canvas" colour in the nadir and zenith that you can "fake" in using Photoshop tools (Clone, Healing or another image etc.)

Maybe this solution will help you out?

Regards, Smooth 8)
hum@no.id

he-he... Smooth - outstanding panographer :oops: ... bad teacher, NUB's will not be able to do... distorsion geometry - is different :wink:

ps. I for clarity has extend cylindrical map - real aspect ratio ~ 4:3