Image quality

Q&A about the latest versions
jare

I have noticed a long time ago that both flash and HTML5 output panoramas are a little blurry, compared to the original cube faces. It seems that this is problem of Pano2VR, no settings helps to match panorama and source tiles image quality, so we can not to achieve perfectly sharp output. Can this be somehow improved?
Bellow is an example of 100% crops from cube face and the same image area from flash panorama. Jpg 100%.
Attachments
img.gif
img.gif (157.41 KiB) Viewed 8010 times
SebastianS

Hi Jare,
which Interpolator do you use?
Regards
Sebastian
jare

I use Lanzos3. In my comparison no matter which interpolator is used because we compare panorama with cube faces, not with original equi image.
hum@no.id

I care more about ..
I'm working ONLY with cube images (TIF) 6x

1. If on feeding in Pano2VR - TIF - sides of the cube for Flash, then it is with these files does not do anything (that's good) just released JPG to output (if the files externalize). The files on the comparison with the TIF gets "as is" without changes in the texture, but only compression artifacts

2. If on feeding in Pano2VR - TIF - sides of the cube for HTML5, it is with these files, performs internal rescaling (which also lengthened the build process) also JPG is available on the output. The files on the comparison with the TIF is different with small lossy quality

provided that the source files and the output files have the same px size. For example - 2000x2000.

Question - why for the output files HTML5 NEED additional remapping\rescaling if the sources are inherently sides of the cube???

Sorry for my poor eng
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
jare

Made one more test, compared both flash&html5 output 100% jpg's to input tiff cube faces. They are absolutely the same visual quality.
But outputed panorama's 1:1 screen shoots compared to these cube faces are blurry (see the image in my first post).
So it seems that the decline of image quality causes pano2Vr player.
hum@no.id

Output Cube faces images for Flash (externalize images mode) and HTML5 - various (but minor differences).
I think I understand what was going on ....
if for Flash output image processing - "as is",
but for HTML5 is an additional processing to create 1-pixel overlap at the seams (edges of the cube)
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
jare

Yes, I know, cube faces for html5 and flash output differs a bit but they both are sharp compared to blurry VR panorama.
jare

As a (temporary, I hope) solution I suggest to add a choice of selecting minus value in Panorama Viewing Parameters /Min FoV Pixels. For example -1.2 pixels. Then panoramas should be sharp at the maximum zoom.
jare

Hi!
No official answer so far? Can the image quality get improved somehow in future?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
The image displayed through the panorama player will appear not as sharp as the cube face in the images folder because the player is 3D distorting the image.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
jare

Thanks for reply, Martin. And what about this?
to add a choice of selecting minus value in Panorama Viewing Parameters /Min FoV Pixels. For example -1.2 pixels. Then panoramas should be sharp at the maximum zoom
JimWatters

I believe you are requesting a minimum zoom of 0.9 or 0.8 in pixels. Where every pixel in the image is represented by no more than 0.9 pixels at the center of the screen.
Currently whole numbers are used but it might be possible.

Personally I like to be able to zoom in a little bit more than the resolution of the pano. It help my poor eye know they are seeing as much as they can of the pano.
jare

I believe you are requesting a minimum zoom of 0.9 or 0.8 in pixels.
Exactly. Having that option, we could get maximum image sharpness at maximum zoom.
RRuiz

I am interested in the same answer.
My input panoramas are TIF with good sharpen, but the output virtual tour is blured/ soft. I thought that was an error on my panos losing some CLARITY, but I found not.

Please comment

Roberto