Is it legal to create a drupal module for pano2vr?

Q&A about the latest versions
redsystem

Hi!

I would like to write a drupal module to manage panoramas created by pano2vr.
The pano2vr license sais "You may not ... create derivative works based on the software", so I wonder if a drupal module would be such a "derivative work".
Tong

i think not, drupal module to manage panoramas good thing to do ;-)
keep people informed and write link to sandbox ;-)
thomas
Chief Gnome

redsystem wrote:Hi!

I would like to write a drupal module to manage panoramas created by pano2vr.
The pano2vr license sais "You may not ... create derivative works based on the software", so I wonder if a drupal module would be such a "derivative work".
Sure it is legal to create a Drupal plugin, as long as you don't ship our player with it. Each user of the plugin has to use his own Pano2VR licensed player to use that module. This is what the "derivative work" passus means.
Please let us know it you have something to show! I am looking forward to it.
MfG, Thomas
DDiCarlo

I am in the process of building a Drupal site and I was hoping to feature some of my pano tours on there. I am working with a designer to create the look and feel and haven't yet spoken with a web developer, but is creating an interface or writing the code to upload and display panos very difficult? I've seen so many well done sites in existence that seem to have it figured out that I just assumed it wouldn't be too hard. Are there any resources, examples or best practices available on how to best integrate panos created with pano2vr into a Drupal site?

I would obviously be interested in seeing what you create redsystem, let me know if you need a beta tester ;-)
redsystem

Adding a Pano2Vr-Panorama to the site is very easy since you can simply add custom html code to an article created in drupal. What I like to create is a module to manage (list, add, delete) single panoramas and whole tours in drupal to have more comfort as if you would work with articles.

Another idea is that the module would be able to make a tour from linked panoramas created with the non-pro version of Pano2Vr (making a tour.xml file and overriding the hotspots), so the ability to change the the panorama and maintain fullscreen is given. I hope this doesn't violate the license.

This would be part of my bachelor thesis, but at this point I'm only collecting ideas, so I really don't know if it's going to be accepted by my college or if I change my mind and choose another subject. I keep you up to date in this post.