Blurred rendering using tiles

Q&A about the latest versions
Jean-Claude

Hi ,

As I said in precedent topic I've been trying O2VR for a couple of weeks, and got a question about tiles too.

After viewing tutos and reading tips and topics, I resized my images so they would divide perfectly : 2800 px, so 4 levels of tiles (2800, 1400, 700, 350) . I specified the tile size : 350 px, so it should be in perfect connexion

If I undestood well, the idea beneath the tiles is to load "light" files to get the animation quicker, and bigger files would be loaded if needed in case of a zoom ?

But whatever I choose embedded or decoded, if I choose the 1st or 2nd level of tile's resolution, when my object rotates it's shown very blurred, clearly unviewable. :evil:

If I stop rotation the quality is correct and the principle works well if I zoom, but if I want a good rotating image quality I need to choose the best level of tiles ... and all the interest seems to get lost , and the loading is long again.

Did I miss something ? Is it useless wanting to use tiles for a rotating image ? (perhaps it's only valuable for static images or maps as shown in the Pano tutorial with the aerial photography ? )

Thanks for your answers
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
With Multi-Resolution when you rotate the lower level images are used.
As a wise man once said, Multi Resolution is to open good and get better (Smooth).

So with this in mind the lower levels should still be good quality, I would use your 700px images as the lowest level.
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Jean-Claude

Thanks Hopki for your answer, but as said in our post, even with the 700 px tiles, image quality is very poor, we're obliged to choose 1400 if we want to have a - only - "correct" result

So we're not convinced at all of the efficiency of the tiles ...

But perhaps we missed something, even after dozen of trials ?...

Have a good day
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
If you want you can send me your files and I will make a project with Flash multi-resolution.
You can then see all my settings.
My e-mail is martin@gardengnome.at or you can use the support e-mail address which is support@gardengnome.at.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi gquantin,
With multi resolution when you zoom in you are zooming in and changing the level of that one image and not all at the new level.
When you rotate Object2VR will then fetch the next image from the server, in the mean time it displays the lower level until it is loaded.
This is with the assumption that Load at startup and decode at startup have been selected for the lowest level
Once you have rotated and all images from that level are loaded then you will not use the images from the lower level.

So using your project settings as an example:
700 => load at start up & decode at startup
then 700 for level tile size.

The above when zoomed in and rotated would show the 700px tiles until the 2800px tiles loaded so you would see the difference in image quality as there is a large gap between 700 and 2800px.
However if if you also selected load at startup for the 1400px level then there would not be so much of a jump and it would use the 1400px level when rotating as it would be loaded.
1.png
1.png (20.21 KiB) Viewed 14144 times
Of course this will slow down the initial loading as it is loading the 700 and 1400px levels but will reduce the image quality difference when rotating when viewing the 2800 level as it will use the 1400 level until the 2800 is loaded.

But then if your downloading the 1400 tiles you may as well not bother with the 700. :wink:

The other thing that will have a large impact on this is the latency of your server.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
strank

I too have issues with resolution using the tiled multi-res option.

My files were scaled to 2400 px square, with 4 levels of tiles (2400, 1200, 600, 300) . I specified the tile size 300 px and have tried loading & decoding at 300, 600, letting O2VR set everything automatically, etc. Still there is a huge difference between straight SWF with and without multi-res.

Zoom looks perfect but the rotation at the initial zoom and scale (600x600) is unacceptable. I've uploaded screen-shots. Please help!
Thanks
Attachments
ResolutionProblem.jpg
ResolutionProblem.jpg (181.3 KiB) Viewed 12536 times
O2VR settings.jpg
O2VR settings.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 12536 times
PhotoSpherix

Try checking the box for embed on the 600px file group if the 360 is native at 600. Click the embed on 300px if it is native at 300.

I think that is the correct way to do it. I know that each time I set up a new run, I have to fiddle with it a little.
PhotoSpherix
Starting a revolution in Photography
360 Product Photography
strank

PhotoSpherix wrote:Try checking the box for embed on the 600px file group if the 360 is native at 600. Click the embed on 300px if it is native at 300.

I think that is the correct way to do it. I know that each time I set up a new run, I have to fiddle with it a little.
Matt,
Thanks for replying! I have tried embedding at the size of the player (600x600) I've tried embedding at 600 & 1200 and the issue remains the same. I've cleared the cache, I've dumped all of the tiles and let O2VR re-render, you name it I've tried it. See screen-shot. Here are 2 Links also,
SWF w/o multi-res... http://bvisual360.com/RollBikeFL/
http://bvisual360.com/RollBikeSpin/
Any wisdom would be most appreciated!
Thanks,
Steve
posting.php?mode=quote&f=14&t=7894&p=35072#
Attachments
ResolutionProblem_still.jpg
ResolutionProblem_still.jpg (126.46 KiB) Viewed 12524 times
Hopki
Gnome

Hi strank,
Are the two outputs the same?
Are both Flash and HTML5 multi resolution.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
strank

Hopki wrote:Hi strank,
Are the two outputs the same?
Are both Flash and HTML5 multi resolution.
Regards,
Hopki
No, those are both flash. Sharp version is without multiresolution, blurred is with multiresolution embedding 600 px size into 600x600 player. If you were you asking whether they were authored as HTML5 with Flash fallback? Yes
Hopki
Gnome

HI,
Interesting, does this happen with the HTML page Object2VR produces or when embedded in your website?

If this happens with the Object export please have a look at the web server and see which size tiles it is serving, looks as if it could be the 300px rather than the 600px.
I would like to see this project if you could upload it somewhere so I can download and take a look.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com