HTML5 pano works very slow on iOS 6

Q&A about the latest versions
Kamil123

Hello.

HTML5 panorama works very slow in Safari on iOS 6 (iPhone 4). On previous version of iOS (5.1.1) everything works fine.
Even on iPhone 4S and iPad 3 panorama works much more slowly. On iOS 5.1.1 everything works fine and smoothly.

Example (created in 3.1.4 Pano2VR):
http://vision360.pl/spacery/canada/statek/statek.html

Panorama created in krpano works fine:
http://www.krpano.com/tours/corfu/html5.html

Best regards, Kamil.
thomas
Chief Gnome

Hello Kamil,

if you look at the examples on our website, you will find that they also work fine on iOS6 (just as the examples on the krpano website).
The problem with your example on your website is that you are using cube faces with 2250px for iPad3 and 1500px for the iPhone 4. with iOS 5 images >1440px have been scaled down during download to half the size (iPad: 1125px, iPhone4, 750px), before they are displayed. This ment that you have lost quality and nobody was able to see the full resolution anyway.
With iOS6 the images are not scaled any more, so the full 1500px are rendered on the iPhone4 which is 4x times more pixels then before and this is causing the slow down.
I suggest to reduce the cube face sizes to something more reasonable, and then it will work fine on iOS 5 and iOS6 as well, and you get even better quality then before.
MfG, Thomas
Henrique_ramos

thomas,

I usually set cube faces to 1200px for HTML5 and 1000px for mobile (with 800 tile size).

Even so, my tours work slow on iOS 6 (iPad 2). I use one skin for iPhones and Android and another for PCs, iPads and what else.

Any sugestion of how could I manage this??

Thanks,
360Texas

Sorry, but you will need to explain with more detail. We need to understand 'what you' consider the judgemental term "Slow" . Compared to what else?

How fast is fast? local hard drive testing ? your server testing? During high broadband usage times of day?
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Henrique_ramos

There's a delay when I click and drag the cursor, a lag.
When I move the gyroscope on iPad I have to wait until the tour moves itself.
Imagine like you have a very heavy tour running on a Pentium II.

It's the same tours that worked on iOS 5, after the update there's this problem.

In my case, it's at my server, but it worked normal before the update.

I hope I have been clear.

Thanks.
thomas
Chief Gnome

Do you have a link?
MfG, Thomas
thomas
Chief Gnome

Hello Henrique,
I can I have here the same result. Can you please try to disable the gyroscope and see if this fixes it? The other thing worth trying would be to lower the tile size.
MfG, Thomas
PORTtours

thomas wrote:Hello Kamil,

if you look at the examples on our website, you will find that they also work fine on iOS6 (just as the examples on the krpano website).
The problem with your example on your website is that you are using cube faces with 2250px for iPad3 and 1500px for the iPhone 4. with iOS 5 images >1440px have been scaled down during download to half the size (iPad: 1125px, iPhone4, 750px), before they are displayed. This ment that you have lost quality and nobody was able to see the full resolution anyway.
With iOS6 the images are not scaled any more, so the full 1500px are rendered on the iPhone4 which is 4x times more pixels then before and this is causing the slow down.
I suggest to reduce the cube face sizes to something more reasonable, and then it will work fine on iOS 5 and iOS6 as well, and you get even better quality then before.

What would you suggest being a good multi-resolution breakdown (both max screen size and cube face size)? Right now, I'm experiencing the loading bar "freezing" during load which probably has to do with the same thing. It's kind of bad on the iPhone 4s, but very bad on the iphone 4. However, sometimes it will freeze at 33% or 50%, and then if i X-out of the loading box, the panorama is actually fully loaded. It still is probably the same issue from iOS6, but I wanted to say the full information.

Thanks,

Frank
cblane

I'm having the same problem and I'm testing with a tile size of 600. If that's too large, we're in big trouble. It loads very slow, a few minutes and in some cases not at all - still showing 0% after 5 min.

Interesting. I just realized that suddenly over the last few weeks, customers have started complaining that my panos are too "heavy". When I started asking more questions, they say, they take way too long to open on iPhone and iPad. Can you make a lighter version for us? Now I realize that the timing coincides with the release of IOS6.
cblane

I tried disabling the gyroscope and that helps. Since the gyroscope is the thing that revitalized my 360 photography last year I hope Thomas can get to the bottom of it quickly.

Thomas - anything I can do to help in reproducing/isolating the issue, let me know.
gvdvelden

Oke, I'm still looking fot the right settings in HTML5 on an iPad2 iOS6.
This pano works great on my iPad2.

What settings are you using?
I'm currently at:
Settings, Tile Settings:
Cub Face Size: 960
Image Quality: 70 (much better than 90)
Settings, Display:
Window Size: 1024x768
FoV Mode: Vertical
Advances Settings:
Sensitivity: 8
Movement: Inertia
Mouse: Invert control
Mobile:
Not used
HTML
Enable HMTL
Fullscreen
Prefer Flash if available

Thanx
JohnGore

This works perfectly fie on my iPad3 with iOS 6.0.1.

What is the ideal html5 tile size for the ipad3?
360Texas

iPad 3 try tile size 1440 px and try adjusting the individual cube face compression say to 70,70,70,70 and 40 top zenith 30 bottom nadir.
Click the [TILE QUALITY] button to adjust the individual cube face tiles.

Then view the pano.. tilt up to top zenith and look for over compression checkerboard over pixelation.
If you see in the blue sky banding.. then adjust from 40 to say 50 and retest for NO banding . Progress to higher number say 60 and repeat test.

Do same for nadir bottom.

Eventually you will achieve an acceptable image quality (no banding or pixelation) and a decent file size say between 1.8 and 2.0 mb.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Henrique_ramos

Hi!

I still have problems with the iOS 6 and the iPhone skin. With iPhone 5 it works fine, but when I try to use my tours at iPhone 4, for example, it gets stuck.

The problem is that the following link has 10 cube face size, and 18 image quality. It still doesn't move.
I think maybe the problem is with my skin, which is attached. I have removed the gyroscope control, fullscreen.

If someone could help me, I'd be so much grateful.

http://www.diegoramos.com.br/anemos/anemos.html

Thanks!
Attachments
DRF Anemos - iphone.ggsk
skin iphone
(68.71 KiB) Downloaded 289 times