Creating Panos with an iPhone

Q&A about the latest versions
Anhedonium

Does anyone have a good process for making panoramas using only an iPhone?
MalcolmD

Anhedonium

I have pretty successfully produced iphone 360x180 panoramas using Photosynth on my iphone 4S.

"Pretty successfully" means it's a bit fiddly and not 100% successful every time, but the gyro does a good job of tracking where each small picture element is, and deals well with the otherwise troublesome issue of joining frames of featureless sky for example. I lock the exposure on the first frame.

The three trickiest issues are:
- keeping the lens in the same place the whole time - and for this I have made a small panorama head out of wood and metal plates and use a thin metal pole as a monopod. A bubble level mounted on the head keeps the lens position constant.
- making sure that the coverage is complete - this requires some discipline in taking the shots, with the screen brightness on max, the shutter volume on max and care to make that the upward shots in particular don't leave any triangular gaps.
- getting my feet out of the picture for the final nadir shot.

If all has gone well the photo is sharpened etc using Lightroom and then exported into Pano2vr. Retouching is minimal. Quality is surprisingly good for such a lightweight kit,imho.

Malcolm
Judy-A

Eric Rougier has a tutorial here:

http://www.fromparis.com/technical/ipho ... ramas.html

Judy
Anhedonium

Thanks for the help everyone! Replies must have been going to my spam and I missed these. Very excited to try the tutorial with my Olloclip Fisheye.
Thanks again. I'll post anything successful.