.SWF File Size

Q&A about the latest versions
dallasrab

I've tried everything I know to decrease the size of my flash output .SWF file, but still cannot get it any lower than 4.8mb. This is a complex skin with 12 or so pop-up images...but all of my buttons and images are only around 1mb in size when combined. There is a narration file for each scene and 2 different background musics, although they are all set to external ("Don't Embed")...therefor the sound files should not be embedded into the .SWF file. I've checked through and through to make sure all of my panoramas are set to the correct cube face size (4000x2000 pans ranging from 1to 2 megabytes out of Photoshop, with cube face size at 1273px and image quality at 90%), I've double checked all of my multiresolution settings (all set to "decode at startup"), etc. I've been comparing all of my settings to a previous project with similar skin complexities and everything is identical. The previous project .SWF files range from 286kb to 784kb in which the narration files WERE embedded into the .SWF file (this and the "sensitivity" level should be the only difference). I just don't get it. With sleepless nights all week I'm finally to the point where I need someone's help here. I apologize up front if this is an ignorant post, but I have no answers. I appreciate anyone's input or advice that will enable me to speed up the loading time on this project. Thanks!

Questions:

1. Do "actions" normally increase the skin size by a significant amount?

2. If I'm using the same skin for all 18 scenes/panoramas, does the virtual tour continue to re-load the same skin when moving from one scene to another?

3. Is there something different with the newest version of Pano2VR 3.1 that could be causing my output .SWF file to be so large?

4. What is the best advice for creating complex skins but keeping my .SWF files at a tolerable size?

Here is the link to the current project in which the .SWF files are all 4.8mb each.

http://charlotte.360citytours.com/spina ... html5.html

Here is the link to the previous project in which all of the .SWF files range from 286kb to 784kb each.

http://seegreenville.360citytours.com/s ... html5.html

I have also attached one Pano2VR file and the skin file from each project.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help!

Dallas
Attachments
skin.js
Previous Project
(23.64 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
embassy_suites-0.p2vr
Previous Project
(11.68 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
skin.js
Current Project
(21.49 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
usnwc_2.p2vr
Current Project
(18.02 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
smooth

You will need to upload your "skin" .ggsk file

Regards, Smooth 8)
dallasrab

smooth wrote:You will need to upload your "skin" .ggsk file

Regards, Smooth 8)

Smooth,

Attached is the skin.ggsk file. The file is 3.38mb, which is large compared to all of my other skins...but all of my images, buttons, etc. are a total of 717 KB when combined. So I'm assuming this means that the actions, default loading bar, containers, screen tint, etc. are an estimate of 2.5mb when combined...or are they? Is this normal? Or am I overlooking something? I appreciate any advice you can provide me with. I've tried everything I know to decrease the size of my output .SWF file...and as of now I've gotten it down to 4.45mb, which is still a very large .SWF file considering. Let me know what you think. If there isn't anything wrong with my skin, I would appreciate any tips you have that could still decrease my .SWF file size. I've also tried re-creating some of my .png files (hotspots, buttons, etc.) as .svg files...and the .svg files are larger, therefor I've kept all of my .png files. I do not know what else to try...so thank you for any advice you have.

Regards,

Dallas
Attachments
usnwc.ggsk
(3.38 MiB) Downloaded 357 times
smooth

Dallas,

You have 13 still images in your skin that come in weighing a massive 2.99mb.
You need to re-compress these or externalise them.

Your average size of these images is around 250kb which is quite heavy for a 500x357 image.
Being a "photograph" and not a graphic they are better suited to .jpg format compression.

For instance here is an original in .png format 223kb
image_conference_1.png
image_conference_1.png (223.54 KiB) Viewed 4950 times
and here is the same photo as a .jpg only 32kb
image_conference_1.jpg
image_conference_1.jpg (32.02 KiB) Viewed 4950 times
Regards, Smooth 8)
dallasrab

Smooth,

I've been replacing my images with compressed files....although it sounds as if they are not being replaced if this is what you are finding within the skin. Here is a screenshot of the source files in my project folder.

I guess I need to physically remove the files from the skin and then re-insert them?

In Tourweaver there is an "optimize" option which removes all old source files. Is there anything similar to this in Pano2VR?

The 250kb files sizes were from the original photograph files when I started this project....this was the first thing I replaced to decrease my .SWF file size....common sense. So why are they not being replaced? And even more interesting, if they are not being replaced then why has the size of my .SWF file continued to decrease (very little though) when I've been replacing the photo images with smaller/more compressed images?

This was a huge help Smooth...now I know where the problem is at least. Thanks a lot.
Attachments
Screen Shot.jpg
Screen Shot.jpg (467.42 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
smooth

Mate, the answer is to save your skin with a NEW name using the .jpg image files and delete the original bloated (.ggsk) version.
Only the files in the current skin will be saved.

OR

If you really want to you can do this:

1) Open the folder that contains your usnwc.ggsk file.
2) Rename it usnwc.zip
3) Un-zip it
4) Remove and replace the files
5) Re-zip it
6) Change the file extension back to usnwc.ggsk

Regards, Smooth 8)
dallasrab

Hey Hey, now we're talking. I really appreciate your help Smooth. My .SWF files are at 2mb now. Thanks again.

Regards,

Dallas