crash with iOS v4.2 and iPad

Q&A about the latest versions
Carel

Sorry if this already came up. I could not find it with a search for "iOS v4.2": Since I upgraded to the new iOS version for iPad, my panos are constantly crashing and the buttons sometimes have to be hit three times to make anything happen. I have been using Goodreader to store vr tours on the iPad and this worked great with the previous version of iOS. Now it has become very unstable and unusable for showing stuff to potential clients. I am reading plenty about crashing on the 360vipro forum, but nothing here, although hhtml5 vr tours produced with Pano2vr are crashing just as bad. Please enlighten me :P
Carel Struycken
erik leeman

Same here. I updated my iPad yesterday, and was horrified by the effect it had on my panos.
Goodreader (using Mobile Safari ?) appears to have no problems with the panos themselves, but it seems skin elements ruin the experience.
I didn't have time yet to look into it any further, but there most certainly is a problem!

Erik
megaron

Same here... please fix it asap, because it's impossible to load more than 2-3 panoramas without crashing safari or another browser on iPad 4.2...

Greetings, Megaron
Hopki
Gnome

IOS 4.2 has caused some problems, the web is awash with lots of gripes about it.
I can not comment on to much, but they have tried to get the I Pad to Multi Task. It suspends momentarily apps, probable using some type of time division. I am not 100% sure, but it has caused a problem in any case.

Pano2VR Html5/Css3 output.
Thomas has found that if you have hide/show and Alpha actions in the skin, there is a delay in tapping the screen and the action doing anything, giving the illusion you have to tap 2 or 3 times before anything happens, this also is causing the crash.

For now if you remove the hide/show and Alpha actions and use set element scale to 0/0 to hide and set element scale 1/1 to show, all works as did before.

Of course this is only a temporary solution while Thomas is looking into it, and of course dependent on how helpful Apple are.

I use for mobile cube face sizes the following:

Cube face Size = what ever you need.
Mobile:
Max. Screen Size = 1025 Tile Size = 1024 I-Pad
Max. Screen Size = 961 Tile Size = 960 4th Gen I-Phone/Pod Touch
Max. Screen Size = 481 Tile Size = 480 3rd Gen I-Phone/Pod Touch

The above works without crashing with a basic skin, standard set of buttons and hotspots, have not tried a complex skin with maps, radar beams etc.
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
wkaemena

Only to chime in... Same problem here locally ( Goodreader) or via Webpage. It is quite annoying, hope the reason will be found soon. I will try to follow the recommendation laid out here, but would be thankful to hear more recommendations....

here a link :

http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/iPad/EC/EastCoast.html

which will crash Safari on iPad 4.2.1

[forum moderator 360Texas edited to correct the URL link]
360Texas

Hi Willie, Welcome to the Pano2vr Forum.

Are you still in Germany? Or are you still out traveling around the world ??

Retirement is great ?

/s/
Dave still at 360Texas.com
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
megaron

Any news here about an update?
megaron

Hopki wrote:IOS 4.2 has caused some problems, the web is awash with lots of gripes about it.
For now if you remove the hide/show and Alpha actions and use set element scale to 0/0 to hide and set element scale 1/1 to show, all works as did before.
Sorry but this won't work.. i've testet it with several panorama-html-pictures and everytime safari crashes, even when loading the picture.
This is very frustrating and i now need a solution in the next few days.. otherwise i must use a compatition product to generate my html-panos... :(

Please Thomas.. give us a statement for this big problem!

Greetings,
Ronny
jiminlai

I have the same problem. It does not crash when it is loaded. It crashes when I click the fullscreen, or change control mode button. And my panorama is just basic, with the controller and nothing else.
ronrack

I just found this thread and am wondering since it is from December is this still an issue?? Reason I ask is that I am trying to convert some panos to html5 iPad compatibility for the first time and although they are working with an iPhone/iTouch I am always getting crashes on an iPad. I really don't know what to do at this point. I was explaining my problem in this thread:
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... 4&start=15
If anyone is getting the iPad to work can you share the exact settings you are using for a reference point? Maybe with screen shots?

Thanks,
Ron Rack
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
http://360around.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
Due to Apples ISO 4.2 it all went wrong.

Try for the i devices cube face size of:

768 iPad
640 iPhone 4/4th Gen i Pod Touch
320 i Phone 3G/3rd Gen i Pod Touch

I also used 80 quality, start from here and work up.
Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
ronrack

Thanks Hopki,
I thought I was going crazy here not getting this to work. Funny thing is Panos work fine for everything except iPad. My iTouch 4g has no problem with the 960 tiles but always crashes the iPad at the 1024 tile size :( Unfortunately I have no iPad so I have to rely on a couple friends for feedback thus slowing down my testing on this. Maybe I will skip the 1024 tile size and see if the iPad will work with the 960 tiles along with the iTouch, although I think in my testing I already used a lot smaller tile sizes. I am amazed that apparently the iPad performance is not near what the iPhone/Itouch is when it comes to this?
Ron Rack
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
hum@no.id

Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
ronrack

Well, Finally success with this according to 2 of my friends with iPads. I had too shrink down the tiles a lot from original try. I use the same tiles for iPad and for iPhone 4. I have attached a screen shot of the settings that I am currently using as of March 4 2011
current settings for iPad
current settings for iPad
rack-mobile.jpg (177.69 KiB) Viewed 13073 times
Ron Rack
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Wim.Koornneef

Hello Forum,

Just like many of you I experienced a lot of browser crashes of my iPadv1 when playing with htmlcss3 panos.

After a lot of tests I found that the only solution that works is to limit the tile size a lot, when the tile size is set to 960 px (!) then the browser keeps stable in al circumstances.
I tested with Safari, iCab and Goodreader with iOS 4.2. and 4.3.

(!) it seems that webkit is working best with images sized with multiplies of 32, altough many people are using a tile size of 1024 px (32x32) it crashes the browser often, the next size with a multiply of 32 is 992 px (31x32) This size fits in memory but leaves very little headroom for other system/browser purposes and occasionally the browser still crashes.
With 960 px (30x32) the crashes are gone so a further reduction of the tile size is not needed.

The image quality is the same for a large range of tile sizes between 1024 px +/- 70 px so 960px is also a good tile size image quality wise.

With a small tile size of 960 px zooming makes no sense so I removed the zoom buttons of the controller, set the initial FoV to 68 degree and limited the FoV to 50 and 100 degree.
With a JPG compression of 85 the image quality is decent with file sizes of around 1 mb/pano. To get the sharpest image I use Lanczos3 for interpolator.

These settings works fine for me, perhaps they also suit you.

Wim