changing button pan speed??

Specific Q&A about the new Flash export
jaymzeberly

hi I was wondering if there is any way to change the smoothness of the button pan?

this is an example of the code I am using:

_root.vr.pano.changePan(-5.0);

It seems that the -5.0 is increments of maybe pixel spaces?
when i speed the frame rate from the now 20fps (in flash) it does not pan smoother, when I up the fps in pano2qtvr by doubld it does not smooth it out also. when I slow down flash to like 2fps I can see the jerk clearly, the frame goes to the next one but not smoothly.

:?: Is there a way to somewhat change the pan smoothness (less jerky) or make it look better? It does not work like the mouse or say if you were programming buttons in Livestage(for Quicktime) the buttons work the same as the mouse dragging.

Thanks
Jaymz
thomas
Chief Gnome

If you pan with the mouse the rendering quality is dynamically changed to allow a faster rendering. When you change the pan angle manually the program doesn't know if its a fast or slow movement.... Long story short: You can set the Quality with the call:

Code: Select all

_root.vr.pano.setMeshDensity(<speed>);
where speed must me positive. so in your case
_root.vr.pano.setMeshDensity(5.0);
MfG, Thomas
jaymzeberly

I tried this on the button
basically I have a button when you roll over it replays this over and over(reply of 2 frames)on timeline so it moves
I changed the 2 to actuall 200 , 10 etc.. just to see but nothing changes. not sure what I am doing wrong... thanks! :)

_root.vr.pano.setMeshDensity(2);

thomas wrote:If you pan with the mouse the rendering quality is dynamically changed to allow a faster rendering. When you change the pan angle manually the program doesn't know if its a fast or slow movement.... Long story short: You can set the Quality with the call:

_root.vr.pano.setMeshDensity(<speed>);
where speed must me positive. so in your case
_root.vr.pano.setMeshDensity(5.0);
thomas
Chief Gnome

Hmmm... what do you mean with "nothing changes"? Does the mesh looks more "wavy" after the change?
Try to set

_root.vr.pano.meshBase=3
or something like that.... the pano should be destroyed but damn fast. With 6 or 7 you should get a reasonable quality. Another option for a speedup is to change the Stage quality to "LOW" during the rotation. I hope this helps.
MfG, Thomas
jaymzeberly

yes that works but real ugly looking ... when it looks decent it is real simular. but I see what you mean when you say "it destorys" the pano. :shock: but when it is going i can still see the frames moving but Is this just the way it works when you move the buttons

is there any other way to do this? I am thinking the best way to do it is just take the number down on the button to pan so it moves in a smaller amount and try uping the frame rate of the flash movie, will there be any problems on slower computers if I jumped it up to 60 fps?
jaymzeberly

about your question, the first script did not work , it did not change the mesh, but the 2nd script did change the mesh and made it move faster but still with the jerky movement.
jaymzeberly

I can see how the increments is based on the 360, like if I put the 5 to 180 it goes only half way then back to the start... so in theory, can't I just make the increments of the 360 .. 720 so 1 will actually be like .5 and the pan will work smoother? and then how do i do this? would this have to be in the program or could this be a division worked out in flash?

thanks.
jaymz

thomas
Chief Gnome

I don't understand.... if you like to create your own spin you can also use setPan() instead of changePan(). If you just turn with 0.5 degrees it looks smoother. 60 fps may not be good on old machines. 50 is the max but you can also go down to 30 fps and it will still be smooth.
MfG, Thomas
jaymzeberly

well if I go .5 the pan is too slow and I can change the fps in the flash movie to 50 but still it moves way to slow, and so you still see a jerk jump to each frame, if I could speed it up with out changing the .5 pan then it might be smoother.

when you move with the mouse it does not jerk at all but the button jerks.

I do notice that the differnce between 30 fps and 60 fps is not much but the difference between 2 and 20 is much more visable.

I am only changing the fps inside of flash not in pano2qtvr.

like the buttons on:
http://www.pano2qtvr.com/sample_flash.php?demo=pano
if you hit the buttons to pan it, it does a jerky move, not like the actual mouse pan, maybe this is just how it works?
thomas
Chief Gnome

Yes and no. The moves with buttons are always a bit jerky but it should be possible to make it not that jerky... Did you change the Stage quality? This also gives a big speedup. You can do this with _root._quality="LOW".

Ok, 2am time for me to go to bed. I hope this helps.
MfG, Thomas
jaymzeberly

I guess I will do one of these and create a script that when the user clicks off the button or clicks on the pano to put it back to high quality, as when you change the mesh down to get the better pan it stays with the low mesh....

thanks. wow it is 5pm time to go home from work :)
jaymzeberly

--Can I access the same code that moves the pano when you press the arrow keys on the keyboard? or is the code you gave me the same code? is there a better way to make it move when holding them down, I am putting it in a two frame symbol and it is just back and forth.... that is where the jerkyness is... thanks

the buttons are very tricky and still choppy in a sense when wanting the image to look good.
thomas
Chief Gnome

jaymzeberly wrote:--Can I access the same code that moves the pano when you press the arrow keys on the keyboard? or is the code you gave me the same code?
It is the same code.
MfG, Thomas