Top and bottom images

Q&A about the latest versions
Martin

Hi there,

I have only just started using Pano2VR, and have succeeded in making a 360 degree panorama (leaving a black circle above and below), however what I would like to know is how you make the image wrap right around? (Eg straight up and straight down) I'm sure there is a very simple way of doing this!

Thanks,
Martin
stalwart

hi Martin,

You need to ensure your input image is an equirectanglar projection - i.e. 2:1 ratio / 4000x200 pixels, etc.

regards

Stuart
Martin

Ah thanks for that! Didn't realise the aspect ratio was so important.

However I've now worked up another question: With the views directly up and down, how do you make it so the sky/ground is not all brought into a point in the middle? Using the patch tool?
360Texas

Your spherical image must be 2:1 ratio like 4000 wide and 2000 high. The viewer expects a 2:1 image. Otherwise it is not a spherical panorama.

Your cylinder image must NOT be 2:1 ratio like 4000 wide and 1500 high. By selecting CYLINDER ..then it will display it as a flat image.

Alternate.... Your cylinder image must NOT be 2:1.. and displayed as a spherical... the image ground and sky the viewer attempt to disply as a spherical only as a pointy termination.

In other words: you will have pointy polar sky ground IF you try to display a cylinder as a spherical panorama
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Carl Lamb

You will also need to have shot zenith and nadir images and blended them into your panorama. It sounds like you haven't captured the full scene, in which case just adjusting the ratio will cause your panorama to appear to come to a point as the zenith and nadir isn't properly represented or seamless. If this is the case you could simply lock off the offending areas by limiting the vertical pan of the viewer.
jeroen

The great advantage of Pano2vr is (imho) you do not have to think to much about the aspect ratio's! Thomas did a good job of hiding a lot of stuff for us :)

I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) you just make sure you cover every part of the scene with a picture and glue this together.
For glue-ing the pictures I use an external program (PTGui pro).

To make glue-ing more successful (or better less error-full) make sure you rotate your camera on the noodle point (using a tripod and eq noodle ninja or equal). Rotating the camera on the noodle point is more important if you have objects close to you lens. If you make picture from eq only mountains with a distance of a few hundred meters you can do without... If you want to auto-glue the pictures make sure you do have quite some overlap; My experience is take a few pictures extras is less work the adding control points in PTGui.

If you cannot rotate in all directions (eq the tripot is masking the floor) you can add in Pano2vr a picture in to your panorama; this picture (or patch) is called a nadir if it’s on the bottom and a zenith if it’s on top. You can add your logo if you like :)

I realize it sounds more easy than it its; but ONLY getting rid of the black circles is not that hard!
Jeroen / Amersfoort / The Netherlands