TEMP directory 'wildcard' for hotspot URL

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
erik leeman

Hi all,

I need to make hotspots that point to the user's active TEMP directory, but that location is different for every user.
Is there anyone who can tell me how to use the system location of the TEMP directory as a hotspot URL?
I tried %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp but that doesn't work.
Any suggestions anyone?

The reason I want to do that is because I want to unpack Panofiles from a CD or DVD into that TEMP directory using a special .exe file.
This way you can distribute a tour on CD, but the panos will be loaded from the users harddisk for speed and efficiency.

Look here for more details:
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... 223#p17223

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!

Erik
Smourt

does this help?

it contains source files and code to create a projector which loads from the temp folder...
I have no clue how to even attempt working it out...

Eric I am sure you will though!!!
Attachments
26892.zip
(4.61 MiB) Downloaded 347 times
erik leeman

I've already looked at that slideshow, but it only demonstrates basic Zinc functionality regarding unpacking enclosed image files into a Temp directory.
As such it is relevant in relation to what you need for your project, but not necessary or useful in any way.

I haven't tested what I have now on a CD or DVD yet, but from my harddisk everything works as intended, like I've already described in the AS3 thread.
Everything except the hotspots in the Pano2VR Flash panoramas.

There simply appears to be no way to tell a Pano2VR panorama to look for the other panos comprising a tour inside the C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp folder.
This is the only directory in which you can be sure you can write on a Windows PC, and that's where Zinc dumps the enclosed pano .swf's.
The problem for those Pano2VR panos is that the path to that directory is different for every user!

There is a system shortcut for that directory: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp, but Pano2VR Flash panoramas can't use it, it doesn't work.

For this reason you must 'ask' the hosting computer for this path every time the application runs.
Zinc can do that, and so the Flash preloader I purpose-built to load the panoramas knows the path too, but the loaded Pano2VR panorama is 'deaf' for that information.

Only Thomas can help us here, by programming an option to hand the Temp dir path info over to the hotspot 'mechanism'.
As it is now it looks like this is a dead end for your plan.

Unless you want to link your panoramas in another way than the standard Pano2VR hotspots of course, but that's a LOT more work!
I'll look into that too, but as before, I cannot promise anything.

Cheers!

Erik
Smourt

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp