Noob question about inserting panoramas (.swf's) into Flash

Using Pano2VR/Object2VR SWF files with your own Flash projects
MikeyLPT

Sorry about this guys, but I've been hung up on this. I see a similar post, but it didn't have a clear answer. I've been integrating my panoramas into html websites (Dreamweaver) so far without any problems. The files play just fine and look great.

This time though, the client has asked that I implement the panoramas into an interactive clickable flash element..where you click on the buttons and the pans pull up. Having only worked with flash a little, I'm getting stuck. I know how to do basic movements, import elements, convert to symbols, make links, do slideshows with transitions, etc.. BUT. For some reason, the .swf panorama files don't look like they want to open right. I thought I could assign different buttons to different panoramas, and then link them so that the particular pan pulls up for the particular button. I can do this with pictures, no problem.. But whenever I import my .swf pans to stage, it gives me a little circle, and that's it. I check out a preview of my project (ctrl+enter), and there's just a plain frame where I want my pan to be. I guess I was expecting some sort of visual box to pull up in the stage, and the pan to be manipulatable like a picture. I'm working with AS2, and have exported my pans in both Flash 8 and 9 as tests..

What's the best way to go about doing this sort of thing?
- I have my "homepage" with picture (residential floorplan) and buttons (to use as links) on Layer
Layer 1, Frame 1
- Is there a way to link to my pans and have them pull up on Layer 1 Frames 2,3,4,5...

Like I said, I can do this with still photos, so I feel like I ought to be able to do it with the pans. I think my issue might be with exporting the pans in PanoVR, or importing into Flash (CS4).

Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I really feel like it should be really easy and I'm just missing something basic. Maybe someone will take pity on me ;). Any feedback much appreciated!

-Mike
Last edited by MikeyLPT on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
360Texas

quick note

AS2 is flash 8
AS3 is only for flash 9/10
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
MikeyLPT

That's a good start :). One variable that doesn't need any more testing.

I'm still curious what these pans look like when other folks pull them into the stage (or library) in Flash. Are they pulling up fine for most people? Do they have a placeholder graphic? Just a stand-in grey box placeholder the same size as the pan window? Do you have to convert to Symbol (and if so, would it be a movie)? Maybe we can get to the bottom of this..thanks for the quick feedback!

-M.
erik leeman

Have a look here Mike:

http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Flash_API

You're not the first one to overlook the Pano2VR Wiki, and you sure won't be the last ; )

You cannot load a Pano2VR .swf into the library or stage in a Flash authoring program, you can only load it as an external file during runtime by the correct (!) ActionScript code Thomas provided in the Wiki. All the code etc. can go into a single frame (with several layers if needed).
If you possibly can, drop AS2 or lose all advantages of Flash9/10 Pano2VR Flash panoramas, and that's a LOT.

Erik
MikeyLPT

Wow! With a quick tutorial on how to load external objects into Flash and the code you linked to, I was able to pull up a pan in Flash! So the big stuff is out of the way. And here I was hoping it was something small like non-matching frame rates or something. Many thanks! :D M.