Horizontal Line Distortion

Q&A about the latest versions
Steve Schultz

Hi, I'm a complete newbie to Pano 2VR. I did a few panos with the trial version and didn't see any problems. Of course now with my first paying job I'm finding issues. I've already done a fair share of searches, but the project is needed ASAP. I'm stitching a cylinder 360 with Autopano Pro then importing to Pano 2VR. The problem is the horizontal lines near the top of the resulting flash panorama are bowed in towards the center
rather than being straight. Does anyone know how to fix this or point me in the right direction as to where to search for a solution?
Any help would be appreciated. One of the reasons I went with this software is because of the great support group!
Thanks, Steve.
wolff

Hi Steve,
the problem might be the center of your input image.
Be sure that the horizon-line of the input image (the line where the camera/the lens have been) is exactly in the middle (seen from the horizontal view, of course) and straight, then there should be no problem with the Pano2Vr output panorama. Maybe you have to fill up and "resize" the image on bottom or top with an empty space.

...if that doesn't help, check the input source: Go to the checkbox and change from automatic to cylinder.

...and if that doesn't help, change the character of the input image: Make a pseudo equirectangular image out of your cylinder image by resizing the image on bottom and top with an empty space, with the relation 2:1 (width:height). Then choose equirectangular in the checkbox.

...and if that doesn't help, my words were useless ;)

Regards,
Wolff
HansNyberg

No I guess that your "cylindric "pano" from autopano is not at all a cylinder but a cropped spherical.
A spherical panorama can be just cropped or full 180 degree which is called equirectangular.

Pano2VR only accepts equirectangular w spherical projection

It is impossible to detect if a cropped spherical has cylindric or spherical projection. Pano2VR believes it is a cylindric projection and converts it to spherical.
Which means it becomes distorted.

If it is a spherical just ad black canvas at top and bottom to make it equirectangular (1-2 proportions)
With the horisont at centre of course.
You than have to restrict the view manually.

Hans
Steve Schultz

Thanks for the replies, it gives me something to look for. I may also have to go back to the original stitching and check for mismatched control points. Appreciate it, Steve.