Color and Zoom Questions

Q&A about the latest versions
GaryM

Hi all, I'm new to the list and have been experimenting with this program for a couple of days. I've been using VR Worx for many years but am looking for something more robust. My main complaint with VR Worx is, even though I've used images that are around 2000px x 2000px, the zoom is pixelated after even a slight zoom.

So, I am getting a slightly better zoom result with Object2VR in QuickTime but having no luck on Flash output. That could be the nature of Flash as I do not know that program.

Secondly, in QuickTime, the saturation of the image drops out with Object2VR where it does not with VR Worx. Anyone else have this problem? This is critical for my work as I am archiving artifacts such as pottery at the University of Arizona.

The crux of it is, I want a flash based file that retains the color integrity and can zoom in at least 3 times the initial size.

Sorry if this has been covered in other posts but I could not find these specific topics.

Thanks!

Gary Mackender
VR Annex
University of Arizona
glm@u.arizona.edu
http://vr.arizona.edu
digimg02

I've made the same switch myself, and I've found Object2VR to give much higher quality zooms in Flash than in Quicktime. What is the size of the images you are inputting into the software?
PhotoSpherix

I have been stuck in a project that the color was paramount. That made us get out the old eye one calibrator and make sure that all colors were correct on the "creation" machine. That brought us into an issue with colors everywhere but photoshop. I did learn a few things from it though. The first; "Object2vr" does apply a color profile to your images. The second; I still don't know what the profile is.

Before the long trek for color correction, I noticed only the slightest shift in gamma on my images. I now see no shift in the gamma from a preview in Firefox(firefox does not color manage by default) on the mac to the final swf(flash does color manage) file. I say it this way because the "Preview" in the OS shows it correct, but the icon maker is not. The function of the OS that gives me a great preview in the finder, seems to think the images has a completely different gamma.

At this point the color is correct from photoshop to the final swf, but the gamma is a little off.
PhotoSpherix
Starting a revolution in Photography
360 Product Photography
digimg02

I found an article on Flash and color correction which makes me think the problem is Flash.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/quick ... ction_as3/

It appears that Flash ignores profiles other than sRGB without doing some work in Flash. Since Object2VR converts to Flash I am assuming it uses the same engine. I took a jpg without a profile and ran it through Object2vr with various profiles. It ignored all profiles except for sRBG and sepia (odd). Greyscale showed up as a totally black square. I can't use Actionscript, so the fix is beyond me. Try converting it to sRGB and see if the color compromise is worth it.

OS X is viewing it correctly because it reads the color profile when displaying the image. Safari will also read it with the profile. Depending on the version, Firefox views ICC profiles or can be convinced to do so. Here is an article about color profiles in Firefox

http://www.ferdzdecena.com/2009/05/14/h ... firefox-3/

From 3.5's release notes
# Firefox 3.5 will only support color profiles as specified by ICC v2, later versions will add support for ICC v4 (see bug 463221)
# Users viewing images using ICC v2 color profiles on monitors with wide gamut levels may find them to look more saturated (darker) than expected (see bug 497363)