Moving people

Q&A about the latest versions
Rajah

Hi,

How can I in a relative dark environment, taking sharp images of people.

With these examples I have taken a lot of extra images to mask moving people and keep the more or less sharp people.
The 'noise' is bad because of ISO 400.
Camera: Panasonic Lumix dmc-L10

The customer wants people in action, but it is very hard to obtain.

http://www.virtueelbezoek.nl/mountain/test1
http://www.virtueelbezoek.nl/mountain/test2

Frans
mosleyh

One suggestion would be to have the customer get the other light fixtures working. It looks as though only half are in use. If budget allows, I would investigate using higher output bulbs in all of them, or mounting additional lights/flashes overhead temporarily.
hum@no.id

Yes, further light \ fash
http://mmgfx.com/something/kfw_uno.html
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
Rajah

@mosley more light would be obvious, but the customer wants to have an atmospheric surrounding.
One of the locations is also a bar/restaurant.

@hum@no.id Flash
Very nice (women too...) but this is not with a flash on your hotshoe, I presume?
I see extra spotlights and they are not in action.

With my Ricoh GR with APS-C sensor I can take pictures without noise with ISO 3200.
But speed 1/30 or more is not possible with f4.0 - 8.0.

Makes a camera with full frame sensor perhaps the difference?

Frans
hum@no.id

It is necessary to have equipments was an overlap in four frames not more - 4x around
Like sigma 8mm on crop sensor (Drum Fisheye landing)
Yes, the flash (with quick hand made diffuser) via synchronizer ... not hotshoe

here applied F5.6 / ISO 400 / Nikon D90 / Sht. date 2009

ps/ In this scene, much less light than in your
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
Affendy

No flash here. Just high ISO 1600 up to 3200.
Canon 60D. Samyang 8mm, Bracket -2, 0, +2

http://www.fnd-fnd.com/media/acclameur2/

Cheerio
Rajah

Nice Affendy, but where are the people in action? :wink:

Frans
Affendy

Hi, aah you need to click the Map+ button to see them ;-)
Rajah

Aaah, nice! Especially the mountain wall. The solution here is a lot of light!

Thanks!
Rajah

And Affendy, what is the speed in the concert pano?

Frans
Affendy

3200 and bracket for the concert.
1600 for the walls and the other sports hall. The same light you get with your 2 examples. Just bracketing and some masking tricks. I wish I could get alittle sharpness but with a mast at 5 metres, it was a little wobbly.
Last edited by Affendy on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rajah

No, sorry, I ment shutter time :oops:
BenderFX

The static surroundings and moving people need to be shot at different exposure levels and the only shortcuts around this are pretty much:

- to either freeze the people (let them hold very still),
- greatly increase the amount of ambient light,
- expert timing, wait for that moment when a climber has to take 5 seconds of hanging nearly still to gather his wits

Other possible solution is ( I assume you go all the way around in 4 times):

- Take your picture of the hall with no people ( 4x, all the way around to get a good baseline to composite on)
- Leave your tripod in exactly the same place and change your exposure settings to something suitable ( 1/60th sec or sth), if people are not too close to you, you could open up your aperture too,
now shoot people doing stuff, while lighting them separately, one person per picture, keeping in mind where light is coming from just get a sharp, good exposure of this person. if two people are close together, mind your lighting even more, totally different lighting will stand out!

Here's the part i could still improve upon, but it does work ( a way to stitch the 4exp baseline picture and the 40-50 people shots separately but in exactly the same manner) :
-Import all pics into PTgui, align them check if the baseline picture and the people shots are connected by control points so they will end up in the same spot. if not, might have to put in some control points yourself.
check off all people shots in the optimiser, and optimise based on the baseline picture. people should be in the right place, Now mask 'm in and mask out the rest of their shots, as long as you have some control points around the subject they should be positioned right.

-Save your work at regular intervals, sometimes things get incomprehensibly hairy at the flick of a switch!
- export as psd with blend layers
- blend all the people in separately in photoshop...

Downsides in this case:
-The climbing ropes and their shadows are bound to get hairy if you can't get 'm in one shot
-the people standing on these mats instead of a concrete floor will deform them and mess with control points on the floor area

( this entire thing was written without HDR/exposure fusion in mind. If you try that, prepare to have everyone act for the shot, or tolerate smeary people.)

Check out this tour I made for Belgian national TV's research and development department,
It falls into the category of timing and creative masking mostly :)
( it was shot in HDR, at ISO 100-160 in what photographers would pretty much call darkness)

http://www.rondomrond.be/media-fast-forward-vrt-oi/

Looking at this tour: If you have a couple main actors/points of interest more or less sharp,viewer's eye will be drawn to it, and the fact that some others have some motion blur does not stand out that much....
Attachments
Little transformation (probably rectilinear 220° x 90° or so)
Little transformation (probably rectilinear 220° x 90° or so)
VRTbts-1.jpg (153.6 KiB) Viewed 7524 times
Rajah

Jef, I say: waauw! :D
What a work! If the customer does not find someone (I am not going to do it) I will give him your address :D

Frans
jare

Let me share some dynamic panoramas, too:

Hockey match - Nikon D600, no HDR, ISO 1600-3200
Theatre - Nikon D7100, ISO 800, -2/0/+2 bracketing
Theatre - Nikon D7100, ISO 400, -2/0/+2 bracketing More examples here http://3dpano.pindora.com/panos/mary2/tour.html