Oculus Rift VR Support

Q&A about the latest versions
JimWatters

We can not make any promises at this time.
Tevvie

Hm ok. Not a very encouraging answer.
360Texas

From what I understand, this is Jim Watters own personal project.

He works on it in his spare inspirational time. We hope you understand now.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
JimWatters

I can not discuss when version 5 of Pano2VR will be released.

In my spare time I have been experimenting.
This example is built using Pano2VR V4.5.3
http://photocreations.ca/Partridge_Island/indexVR.html

It still has some UI to work out.
It will give a Google Cardboard vision on mobile.
If using a VR enabled version of a web browser using with an Oculus Rift it will respond with the Rift.
If not HMD is detected then the mouse can be used.

Beside a slightly different skin all changes are in the html code to this version.
http://photocreations.ca/Partridge_Island/index.html

The next step is to combine the two different version into a single page. Incorporate three.js some more third party javascript then create a template that will generate all the appropriate html code.
Tevvie

I'm sorry, I didnt know it was developed in someones spare time, I thought a whole company is behind these software releases.

I've tried the example, but it is no where near the performance of the pre-release of krpano.

But I guess with the three.js integration (such as the mozvr examples) the performance will be better.

Just keep us updated, because I don't want to buy yet another pano software (i.e. krpano).
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Produce an HTML5 output with Gyro enabled.
Output the HTML5 file then follow this document on how to change the HTML page code to display the panoramas side by side.
This should get you going :-)
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Howard

Here is an experiment I just completed; needed to involve krpano beta:

http://www.allaroundnevada.com/afm-hmd/
Tevvie

Hopki wrote:Hi,
Produce an HTML5 output with Gyro enabled.
Output the HTML5 file then follow this document on how to change the HTML page code to display the panoramas side by side.
This should get you going :-)
Regards,
Hopki
The above instructions do not contain any HMD support. I've had a look at the code of Jim, but the pano makes me sick :)
Tevvie

Sorry for the double post, but I will try to explain my experience with the example of Jim and why it makes me sick.

First and foremost, I know web-based VR will not come near native VR apps performance for quite some time, but the issue I have with the above example (and just to be clear also with the krpano example, but to a lesser extent) is that when I turn my head and look around, the scene stutters and the image isn't smooth.

I guess this is called latency? I don't know all the terms related to VR but I've also heard about judder. It seems as if the scene "shakes".

I tried the example on my Note 4 with the WebVR Chromium enabled browser and my Gear VR. I've also tried it on my iPhone 6 with Mobile Safari and a Homido headset.
JimWatters

Tevvie, thanks for the extra details.

To clarify, as part of Garden Gnome, I have been researching what needs to be done to make VR a good experience using Pano2VR. The company is behind VR and the VR experience will continue to improve.

Still lots of pieces to come together to make a good VR experience. Not just Pano2Vr.
Tevvie

Ok, I understand. I hope you won't be (too) late for the Web VR party :)
Tevvie

Up!

The "special" WebVR enabled browsers are getting more and more stable. WebVR enabled Firefox builds are now part of Firefox Nightly!

Chromium WebVR builds are stable and there are Android builds for both Firefox and Chrome.

Also, the WebVR spec is almost finished.

Any news you guys can give us on WebVR support for Pano2VR?

Thanks.