Tour not displaying in IE7

Q&A about the latest versions
kinprod

I have just completed some tours for a big client who are using IE7 - I created two tours in the previous version on Pano2VR and didn't have a problem I have just finished creating the other tours using version 4.1 and they do not display in IE7 - they display perfectly well in IE10, Chrome, Safari and Firefox, can anyone help please?
hum@no.id

Need recommended for client - throw your computer with IE7. "Popularly" say to him, that the Microsoft stopped supporting line IE 5,6,7,8

This is not your problem, it's not a problem Pano2VR ... This only problem is the client
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
kinprod

Hi Thanks for the reply, although I agree with you they were working before. I don't think the client will agree to updating his IE version and it will just come back to me again do you know if there is some javascript or something that will make them display?
hum@no.id

The only way out, if a client "Die Hard" ... make a tour of the downgrade Pano2VR version of which works in IE7
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
360Texas

Might consider - showing your client the benefits of using a technically improved web browser. Most new browsers now are HTML5 content aware... IE 7 , IE 8 and IE 9 are definitely not HTML5 content aware. IE 10 and next month IE 11 will be HTML5 content aware.

In addition... recently we have migrated to Windows 8 64bit O/s TOUCH SCREEN which currently uses IE 10. AND I think FLASH Viewer plug-in was already installed in the IE 10 !
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
robd

Hi Kinprod,

In he HTML5 output section, is "Prefer flash if available" selected?
kinprod

Thank you all for your replies yes all the tours are created as HTML5 and flash with the flash fallback selected. I had my team check the tours on IE7, 8 & 9 they display fine on their machines so I have asked the user to check his settings (having provided screen grabs of the tours displaying correctly). It doesn't make sense to me that they will display on some machines and not others though.
Do you think that when we are going into clients we now need to be asking them what browser they are using? This organisation is really large and to get the tours done took a year! so to get them to update their browser - I just wouldn't like to guess!!
360Texas

What browser the client is using and what device platform their audience is expected to be using is on our technical check list of activities for FIRST CLIENT VISIT.

This way we can design our content with the clients expected goals in mind.

History: Few years ago we were creating pano's built for java, QTVR, and Flash. The client was using an outsourced webpage developer company. The developer selected FLASH ONLY because at that time 99% of the world computers were using Flash. And the developer knew that the Client computers were all PC's with flash installed in their browsers. So we built the project based on FLASH only content. No surprises. Client / Developer were happy with the project results.

It bears repeating here again... last Sunday we purchased 2 new replacement computers for our office. Dell Intel i7, Windows 8, Internet Explorer 10 machines. I was happy to find - they both worked. IE 10 came with FLASH 11.8 pre installed. So the rumor that Flash is going away... IS A MYTH !

Found this in IE 10 - Managed Add on tab:

Name: Shockwave Flash Object
Publisher: Microsoft Windows 3rd party Component
Type: ActiveX Control
Architecture: 32-bit and 64-bit
Version: 11.8.800.94
File date: ‎Thursday, ‎June ‎27, ‎2013, ‏‎5:05 PM
Date last accessed: ‎Today, ‎August ‎23, ‎2013, ‏‎18 minutes ago
Class ID: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
Use count: 892
Block count: 0
File: Flash.ocx
Folder: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
hum@no.id

Typically, developers are inserted into the code page the example following comment:

Code: Select all

<!--[if lt IE 8]>This page does not support older versions of the browser IE 5/6/7. Please update your browser to version 8 or above<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/worldwide.mspx" target="_blank"> Microsoft »</a><![endif]-->
Or referral to a special page that looks like this - https://help.yammer.com/entries/2216217 ... Explorer-7
Don

kinprod wrote:...It doesn't make sense to me that they will display on some machines and not others though...
This sounds like the client's IT department has their employees' browser security settings configured so tightly that the pano player javascript functions are not allowed to run.
kinprod wrote:...Do you think that when we are going into clients we now need to be asking them what browser they are using? ...
Yes, when interviewing potential new clients, discussing "system requirements", and requiring current browser versions is a must. Avoid potential clients not willing to run current browsers - unless they are willing to pay for the significant time & effort required for backward compatibility with old browsers. The Internet has changed significantly since IE7 was released in 2006. Current browsers are typically backward compatible, but old browsers are very likely not to display all or part of current web sites. Even if the client is willing to pay for the backward compatibility effort, much of today's browser functionality simply did not exist in 2006.

As usual, the big corporate client wants to be on the cutting edge without the time & effort. It is difficult to turn a big ship. This is their headache, not yours.
kinprod

Thank you Don and Everyone for your replies.
Since my post I have been able to provide the client with screen captures of the tours running on IE7,8 &9 so they are going to look into why their machines are not able to run them but I agree with Don and it is true I know that they do have their machines so tied down on security settings that they won't access perfectly legitimate sites.
Regards
Karen
russphotography

I am curious why the client computer setup is the only concern. I agree the client must be able to see the tour but I would think the bigger concern from the clients perspective is that website visitors will not be able to see anything. They will not ask how to fix the problem they will just leave. I think this is a huge issue that Garden Gnome should be fixing. Is anything being done?