Flash Fallback Player > Skin Loading ext thumbnails

Q&A about the latest versions
kirby

This is a little complicated, but here goes:

Let's say I have a skin that has external images tjat act as buttons. The external images are stored at /folder/$uo/ <-- where $uo acts as a "dynamic" folder based on what I input into the comments field. When I view the tour in HTML5/Chrome, it works. If I specify Flash fallback player and view in IE, it will not work and searches for /folder/undefined. I'm sure this is a pretty obscure issue, but wondering if anyone has a solution?
kirby

Would someone familiar with the Flash fallback player mind giving this a go?

Attached: simple project and skin. Add a sample tour, output everything, then upload to a server into folder called testfolder (or you can rename in the comments area).

If you view in HTML5 browser, the thumbnail will appear. If viewed in e.g. IE9 (in Flash), the thumbnail will NOT appear and the path specified in the comments field ("testtour") will appear as "undefined"
Attachments
test.rar
(6.32 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
It seems to be working in Flash using the flash fullback player and working in HTML5.
There is a bug reported that as you have already done you need a viewer init action to set text to write the file path.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
kirby

Strange. Which browser(s) are you using? Have you tried testing in IE8?
360Texas

I guess that is a fair IE8 question -

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp

......Total .....IE 10..... IE 9......IE 8.....IE 7.....IE 6
June_12.0 %___3.1 %___ 3.2 %___4.9 %___0.7 %___0.1 %
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

And while you are there ... on the left side click on Browser Display.

ALMOST EVERYONE 90% are using Display monitors larger that 1024x768

I mean even our new Samaung Galaxy s4 with a 5 " screen has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 at 441 pixels per inch.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
kirby

I see your point. At what IE version number will this feature begin to work in IE?

Re:
ALMOST EVERYONE 90% are using Display monitors larger that 1024x768
Is this related to one of the project settings in the project file? If so, it's because it's just a dummy project file with "round figures" so if I selected something more geared toward 1024x768, it was likely an accident (though I'd like to know what you made you include the above comment so I can be safe :))
360Texas

Certainly, maybe I should explain

Yes I did download your .zip [ .p2vr and .ggsk] files. I did use my own panorama for your project. No I did not upload it to my server because if it did not work locally ... I would need to look forward to understand why.

First item I noticed is that the OUTPUT only had
1 html5 output scenerio and
1 REmap 71x52 assigned as thumb1.jpg.

Viewing parameters were PAN 348.0 angle of view, Tilt down -1.5° and a FOV 70: FOV Zoom default 5 min and 120 max.

User Data contained Title, Description = Room 1, Author Room 2, Date and Time = Room 3, copyright Room 4, Source = Room 5. T
Comment = testfolder.
Other User Data like Lat, Long or Tags contained data.

Hotspots = 0 items defined
Media = 0 items defined

IN the HTML5 output
tab /Settings\
Cube face size 500 [default was 685} Image Quality 50 and Tile quality remained default [cube face size at 50]// I would have used 1300
Display default 640 x 480
OUTPUT FILE name output\tour1.xml

Autoroate .3 /°frame
[x] start after fully loaded / which means that the pano will not display until full download and loaded in to local memory

SKIN /Controller set to [$\test.ggsk ] denoting to look for test.ggsk in current folder on the server
Image Format [x] Convert SVG to PNG which is a good solution concerning server not recognizing scaleable vector graphic images
processed Images to be found in the ..\skin which means maybe up one folder called \skin

Output file: output\tour1.xml

tab /ADVANCED Settings\
All looks to be default settings
Movement [x]
Mouse [x] invert control
double-click [x] toggle Fulscreen
Mouse Wheel [__] which I would have selected [x]... to make scroll wheel roll forward = zoom in backward = zoom out
Keyboard and context menue.. [ __] not selected . = Normal

Hotspot Text Box [__] not selected by default
Polygon Hotspots = used default selections

tab /mobile \
No mobile items used for HTML5
I would have used at least the typical 2 flavors:
iPod, iPhone 1,2,3 device screen 480 x 320 pixels 163 ppi. -> Screen 480 Cubeface/tile 416 On HTML tab click full screen [x] option
iPhone 4g device screen 960 x 640 pixels 326 ppi. -> Screen 960 Cubeface/tile 700 compression 70 On HTML tab click full screen [x] option

tab /HTML\

[x] Enable HTML file

Flash fallback player [x]
Flash fallback file not specified because .swf was not specified nor created // I would have created an Flash output .swf flash file.

Regarding your comment regarding using IE 8. After quick google search I found that W3schools.com had found that IE 8 was sitll in use at 4.9% it might be worthy to learn why the IE 8 browser (hopefully with the Flash viewer plug-in) was still in favor. But your project file denotes that you did not generate a Flash output.. so the issue is moot. IE 8 and IE 9 are not HTML5 content aware so we would expect that anyone using these two browsers certainly could not view HTML5 content.

You asked "At what IE version number will this feature begin to work in IE?" At this point IE 10 has been reported to be HTML5 content aware. Which also means that the device must be running Win 7 with the updated IE 10 browser.

You asked "so if I selected something more geared toward 1024x768" . I would suggest HTML5 "Mobile" flavored values indicated above. Your project apparantly does not show that you are using any Mobile screen and cube face dimensions entries.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
kirby

Thank you for the very detailed response. Just wanted to clarify:

For me, in IE8 and IE9, with Windows7, the thumbnail graphic is not displaying. I wanted to see if/how I can get the thumbnail to display in IE8 or IE9 when using the HTML5 Flash fallback player (not to be confused with outputting a separate swf file).
360Texas

Need a bit of help with your design function intentions with your skin:

[-] initial settings
You are identifying this value in the ID: $xx hints but in the \skin folder the file is called xx_hints.jpg.
filename spelling are not same $xx[space]hints and xx[underscore]hints.jpg

In the Skin tree called Container element thumb1 specially External Image Properties for "thumb1" No External URL value shown
and with Action /Modifiers for thumb1
Looks like you have :
mouse enter / leave with change element alpha but do not specify an Alpha value and Target is $self
mouse click open next panorama but do not specify a URL
mouse click hid / Show Element but do not specify a Target
another mouse click change element with no alpha and the Target is #frame.*
another mouse click change element alpha no alpha and target is frame1
another mouse click show /hide element with no target
another mouse click
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
kirby

[-] initial settings
You are identifying this value in the ID: $xx hints but in the \skin folder the file is called xx_hints.jpg.
filename spelling are not same $xx[space]hints and xx[underscore]hints.jpg
You can ignore this element. I just put it there for my own reference.
However, if you view the actions for the "initial elements" container, you will see that this where the image for the thumbnail is being called from.
In the Skin tree called Container element thumb1 specially External Image Properties for "thumb1" No External URL value shown
and with Action /Modifiers for thumb1
Looks like you have :
mouse enter / leave with change element alpha but do not specify an Alpha value and Target is $self
mouse click open next panorama but do not specify a URL
mouse click hid / Show Element but do not specify a Target
another mouse click change element with no alpha and the Target is #frame.*
another mouse click change element alpha no alpha and target is frame1
another mouse click show /hide element with no target
another mouse click
In an effort to simply this skin for testing, I think I may have made it more complicated - my apologies. I think you should be able to disregard this info. For testing purposes, the only functionality I am trying to ensure is getting the thumbnail to appear in IE8/9 when the HTML5 output is set to "Flash fallback player".

Thank you again!
360Texas

Used your project file.
Input - I used my own panorama
Viewing params and User Data remained unchanged

HTML5 Output

Settings/ Advanced Settings/ Mobile / HTML tabs remained unchanged except

Deleted your skin and used standard 'Simplex' skin.

Tab /Settings\
In the skin editor - editing area and Tree are clean.
Selected Editor Tool : 5th button from left = one called add image selected my new thumb1.jpg
Placed it as a skin element lower left corner of editing box. By default its ID is called Image 1 (12,418) Anchored lower left corner
No scaling
Changed Visibility to Alpha [0.300]
Format is a PNG

Tab /Actions/Modifiers\
Actions
Source /// Action
Mouse Enter Set Element Alpha Alpha: 1.000 Target: $self because original image is translucent.. mouse over will now turn it full bright
Mouse Leave Set Element Alpha Alpha: 0.300 Target: $self because on Mouse leave image will return to original 0.300 translucent.

saved the skin.. and project

[Create ALL] will rebuild all the html's and xml's with the new simplied configurations.

Opens with IE 9 with Flash viewer installed As expected.. pano is displayed as FLASH with small thumbnail in bottom left .. on mouse over I can see the thumb image bright. On mouse off the thumb returns to translucent. I guess Flash fallback player [x] is working.

I did test with [NO FLASH viewer installed ] HTML5 content aware Safari 5.1.7 it also performed like IE 9. Right mouse click reports HTML5 content being used.

We stopped using IE 8 several years ago so can not test. We did not post this configuration to our server.

Hope this helps
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
kirby

For this to work for us, we need to be able to call: $uo/thumb1.jpg. In other words, do you know if it's possible to get this working in the skin/project we provided?
360Texas

I think the issue with the skin you provided to us was that it had too many incomplete action/modifiers. That is why I started with a clean skin.

You wrote:
For this to work for us, we need to be able to call: $uo/thumb1.jpg. In other words, do you know if it's possible to get this working in the skin/project we provided?
User Data Comment or $uo and in that field you are using the word "testfolder"

While you have not discussed this before... are you trying to use the USER Data Comment text field 'Testfolder' be displayed over or adjacent to the tumbnail ? or
we need to be able to call: $uo/thumb1.jpg
When you mouse over the thumbnail graphic in the skin you want to display the the image called thumb1.jpg ??

I did notice that all you had in the skin tree container was a blank frame and a shadow element then a thumb1 image call but no image
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
kirby

Thanks for your continued help!

I've uploaded a new skin file to replace the original. Hopefully this will make things more clear. The MAIN thing I'm trying to achieve is to get the thumb1.jpg (generated in the project file) to simply display when the entire project (HTML5 output) is uploaded to a folder called /$uo (aka "/testfolder" as indicated in the "comments" field) in IE8 or IE9 when using the HTML5 Flash fallback feature.

In other words, please overwrite the existing test.ggsk skin file with the version found here and then output HTML5 with Flash fallback player enabled and attempt to view in IE8 or IE9. You can completely disregard mouse-overs and mouse-clicks. It's just to see if we can get the externally loaded thumbnail to view when called via /$uo/thumb1.jpg.

Thanks again!
Attachments
test.ggsk
(4.82 KiB) Downloaded 197 times