Fullscreen Flash and IE Flash plugin 9.0.115.0 (WinXP)

Q&A about the latest versions
erik leeman

I just updated my Flash plugins for IE and Firefox (WinXP) to version 9.0.115.0 (I had 9.0.45something) and guess what?
IE now appears to really dislike fullscreen FlashVR's. Within a window moving the view about with the mouse works as usual, but when switched to fullscreen the view 'sticks' and doesn't respond for some time and then suddenly moves around violently. There always was some 'stickyness' but this is terrible! Firefox doesn't seem to have this problem.
And there's no way to get the old version back I guess.....
Grrrrr!

Regards,

erik leeman
thomas
Chief Gnome

[cross post with panotools ng]
I tested this on 4 machines with Vista - IE 7, XP - IE 6, XP SP2 - IE6 and SP2 - IE7 and none of them showed this phenomenon. In fact the transition between full screen and normal view where instant.
Maybe the source is something on your machine, maybe it is the graphics card (or graphics driver)?
MfG, Thomas
Svendus

Secunia Software Inspector
Feature Overview - The Secunia Software Inspector:
* Detects insecure versions of applications installed
* Verifies that all Microsoft patches are applied
* Assists you in updating your system and applications
* Runs through your browser. No installation or download is required.

It will show up all resent Browser plugging and you have manually to delete old flash versions
In the plug-in folder :wink:
Image Image
Roy Reed

I'm experiencing this slow down and jerkiness at fullscreen in IE (but OK in Firefox) as well. This is on a dual-core Opteron with 2GB ram and Radeon X1900 video card with 512KB and the latest ATI driver. It must be down to some difference between the IE and Moz version of the Flash plugin.
Svendus

Ie Explorer is a horrible mess of updates’ go to tools presetts (Swedish OS sorry)
tools.jpg
tools.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 14998 times
presetts.jpg
presetts.jpg (95.91 KiB) Viewed 14997 times
Clean up this folder from old settings
And everything runs like a charm
Best regards,
Image Image
thomas
Chief Gnome

Roy Reed wrote:I'm experiencing this slow down and jerkiness at fullscreen in IE (but OK in Firefox) as well. This is on a dual-core Opteron with 2GB ram and Radeon X1900 video card with 512KB and the latest ATI driver. It must be down to some difference between the IE and Moz version of the Flash plugin.
Do you use the wmode="transparent" switch to embed the Flash panorama? If so, try to remove this line and IE should show the panorama (almost) as fast as Firefox.
MfG, Thomas
Roy Reed

thomas wrote:Do you use the wmode="transparent" switch to embed the Flash panorama? If so, try to remove this line and IE should show the panorama (almost) as fast as Firefox.
No, I'm not using wmode="transparent", but I seem have cured it. I was using the SWFObject v2 static publishing method, but I've changed this to the dynamic method (Eolas avoidance) and the problem seems to have gone away. Could there be something in this that makes the difference?

For what it's worth, this is what I'm now using:

Code: Select all

<script src="../../scripts/swfobject2.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
	var flashvars = {};
	var params = {};
	params.play = "true";
	params.loop = "false";
	params.quality = "autohigh";
	params.scale = "showall";
	params.bgcolor = "#ffffff";
	params.allowfullscreen = "true";
	var attributes = {};
	swfobject.embedSWF("AlbertBridge02.swf", "myFlashMovie", "560", "360", "9.0.0", "expressInstall.swf", flashvars, params, attributes);
</script>

<div id="myFlashMovie">
	<p><a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/" onclick="javascript:window.open(this.href,'newWindow',''); return false;" title="Opens in a new window">You need Flash to view the contents of this page</a>.</p>
</div>
You can see examples at http://www.reeddesign.co.uk/panoramas/. The SWFs range between 315KB to 1.7MB.
erik leeman

@ Svendus:
Thanks for the tip (sorry, couldn't make much from the Swedish in the screenshots), I updated all the ActiveX Controls that could be updated. To my surprise the 'Shockwave Flash Object' named 'Flash9e.ocx' was updated too! That one should not have needed updating after deleting the older Flash plugin with Adobe's latest universal uninstall utility and re-installing Flash for IE. Nevertheless this did not improve things much, pauses and sudden jumps still occur. I haven't done a cold reboot yet though....

Regards,

erik leeman
Svendus

erik leeman wrote:@ Svendus:
Thanks for the tip (sorry, couldn't make much from the Swedish in the screenshots), I updated all the ActiveX Controls that could be updated. To my surprise the 'Shockwave Flash Object' named 'Flash9e.ocx' was updated too! That one should not have needed updating after deleting the older Flash plugin with Adobe's latest universal uninstall utility and re-installing Flash for IE. Nevertheless this did not improve things much, pauses and sudden jumps still occur.
With the version of I. e .7 it is actually possible to repair the browser with the I.e. 7 Explorer installation file
We have done this with good results on many computers here by reinstalling it
The Swedish version is a bit buggy and many have had troubles with the QuickTime plug-in and the Adobe flash plug-in
Microsoft has put much stress on the free support in our country
one thing you could try is to make a system rollback to an date where I.e. 7 Explorer functioned
but why not run Firefox as your default browser it is much safer and faster :idea:
Question did you install service Pac 3 ?
Image Image
erik leeman

I just noticed that i forgot to mention that my problem is with IE6, sorry 'bout that. I did mention however that fullscreen Flash VR works flawless with Firefox on the same computer. On another computer IE7 works ok too.
However, my concern is not that it malfunctions on MY computer, i MUCH rather use DevalVR to watch VR panoramas, but that it also could do this on computers used by visitors of my website. There's not much i can do about that if that happens. It seems in general that updating the Adobe Flash plugin is not as straightforward and free of errors as it should be. This could become a serious problem for us.

Regards,

erik leeman
Svendus

All right
But it is a little frustrating that every page opens in a new window _blank on your site :!:
The standards are the same window, where you let the user decide if she shall right left or middle click a link
If you want all to se your beautiful panoramas adobe flash are the right format
On the growing Linux platform you can’t in no way view .mov panoramas
Apple typically never made an QuickTime Player fore the Linux users and the DevalVR plug in are Windows only
and Java don’t seem to be something that just works in Windows :?

When Pano2VR makes the wery first class flash .swf movies why not make it your first choice :?:
Last edited by Svendus on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik leeman

For the last few months i have been investing an enormous amount of time (and some money for licenses for three different software solutions) converting my panoramas to the Flash9 format. I have done this because i firmly believe the panofuture is with Flash.
That is, UNLESS Fiero manages to sell his technology to a mayor player. I can even see DevalVR being incorporated into Flash if that is technically possible. Fiero's solution is so compact and elegant and wonderfully effective i want to support it as much as i can, hoping it eventually will raise the interest of ...... well, who knows?
As a first choise NOW, Flash is completely unsuitable. As long as there is no hardware accelleration in Flash i simply cannot make my fullscreen panos in the fully anti-aliased, superfine mesh quality i desperately want them to be. They would bring even the most powerful home or office computer available today to its knees, resulting in a stuttering slideshow.
And that while DevalVR does it effortlessly and buttery smooth on ANY reasonably modern computer, TODAY!
Fiero seems to making good progress with the Mac version of DevalVR, if that works, a Linux version should be possible too. For the time being i offer the QuickTime option for those poor Mac people, just for the sake of having a choise.
Other than that, QuickTime is dead as far as i'm concerned.

About the target=_blank thing, to tell you the truth i don't care much about 'standards' really. I am still developing that website, it's an ongoing experiment and who knows what it will look like a year from now. At least my work is visible now, albeit not nearly as good as i want it to be.
Oh well, pioneering is not only frustrating and time consuming, it is also exiting and fun!

Regards,

erik leeman
loule

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem on XP- IE7.
I've been desactivate and re-activate the ShockWave Flash Object (flash9e.ocx) in IE7 and then it seems to work better a few seconds or minutes, then the problem comes back ! :shock:

What I don't understand is that Full screen works well with the example :
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/fs_vr.php?pic=wwp2&t=4
but not with my swf, even with small swf (350 Ko) !
Problem with Pano2VR Beta4 ? :roll:

I have another problem : in Firefox, when clicking on Toggle Full Screen nothing happens (?) :cry:

Thanks all !
Loule
Roy Reed

loule wrote:I have another problem : in Firefox, when clicking on Toggle Full Screen nothing happens (?) :cry:
Depends on how your HTML is defining the Flash (object/embed, via javascript, just object?). But whichever way it is, Firefox probably isn't picking up allowfullscreen="true". Got an example to show us?
hum@no.id

Other than that, QuickTime is dead as far as i'm concerned.
QuickTime player on constantly development. Dead QTVR tech branch...
I've been desactivate and re-activate the ShockWave Flash Object (flash9e.ocx) in IE7 and then it seems to work better a few seconds or minutes, then the problem comes back !
Latest OCX named - FlDbg9e.ocx ~ 3.4 mb (check your Sys.folder)
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj