building container menus

Q&A about the latest versions
RobM

Hi all,

I'm trying to build some menus that slide into the screen from the side. All seems to go fine with the basic sliding and menu control but I have one point I'm trying to figure out.
I'm constructing the whole menu layout on the skin editor but in actual fact the whole element should be off the side of the screen so that when I instruct it to move right 200 pix, it moves onto the screen. Right now, it moves 200pix relative to the position on the skin editor.
Ideally I want to see what I'm building but have the software knock that the initial position is -200.
If I build everything in the initial start position, it is of course off the side of the skin editor and invisible to edit.
Ideally we should have a larger skin editor canvas where things can be positioned around the edge and only have a defined area in the middle that is actually the visible working area.

How do I get round this? Do I have to extend my container boundary to off the screen somewhere? Or maybe set init position at -200 and then +200 on click?

Rob
RobM

think I answered myself.
Init postion and change position relative to. Seem to be the key here.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Rob,
Just keep it in screen until your finished building it.
Then just position Y: -200 just before your ready to publish.

You could even put the menu in a container, then on loaded have the container change position Y: -200px
Then your button toggles position the menu. This way the viewer will see that the menu slides side to side, giving a hint its there.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
RobM

Hopki wrote:Hi Rob,
Just keep it in screen until your finished building it.
Then just position Y: -200 just before your ready to publish.

You could even put the menu in a container, then on loaded have the container change position Y: -200px
Then your button toggles position the menu. This way the viewer will see that the menu slides side to side, giving a hint its there.
Regards,
Hopki
Thanks Martin.
I fixed it by developing the whole menu structure on the edit window, including sub slide-out menus. The overall container and sub menus have an init position that sets them off the screen as soon as the pano is called up. All seems to work just fine that way.

the idea of something being visible during loading isn't bad. I might use that for something similar