New Photoshop business model and Monthly rates

Q&A about the latest versions
360Texas

If you have not yet heard about Adobe's new business plan ?

Photoshop CS6 release is said to be last full release. CS7 and CS suites will be cloud based and you will have to pay monthly. Its a permanent change in Adobe's pricing model. I think Light Room and Elements are still single upgrades (not cloud based)

They are initially offering current http://www.adobe.com/

They are offering deep discounts for current users to cross over to using Cloud upgrade downloads

Monthly Rates found here

https://creative.adobe.com/#plans

We can't afford this new business method ](*,) ](*,)

Frequently ASKed questions.

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/ ... ment-41402
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Roy Reed

I think it sucks - but luckily I don't use PS, having been a Corel PhotoPaint user since it started.

I do however use Lightroom and Adobe are talking about doing a Lightroom/Photoshop combined package for photographers, but I don't know whether this will be cloud based or not.
jmcilvaine

First I heard that Adobe is going to force users to the Cloud.

However I personally have been using the Adobe Creative Cloud service for almost a year now I would have it no other way. For $50/month ($30 a month for my first year). I can leverage over $3000 in software and receive free updates and upgrades. I had been using Dreamweaver for several years but shied away from the other "Pro" products because of the upfront cost and I was able to get by with consumer versions of Photoshop and Premiere and used Microsoft Publisher for print.

I now use the full suite of Adobe products for web development, photography (and Virtual Tours), video production and print material, logos, etc. I use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, inDesign, Illustrator. I'm going to take some time to learn Flash now that I have access to it. For me to purchase the software and upgrades when they come out would come out to more than $50.00/month so for me its worth it. I pay more than that a month for lousy cable TV that I hardly watch!

I can understand why Adobe is going "Cloud"...it will eliminate piracy...or put a big dent in it. I know of several people that use and have offered to share pirated copies of the Master Suite which is a $2500 piece of software and you can go on craigslist in just about any city and there are guys that will install the master suite for $50 bucks. There are probably 1,000's of pirated copies that add up to millions in lost revenue for Adobe.

From a business standpoint I can see where they are coming from. If you require the "Pro" products then you probably use the products to make money in which case $600/year (which does include upgrades/updates) should not be a big deal. And there are probably 1,000's of user that have used pirated software for business and pleasure.

That being said its still not fair the hobbyists/enthusiasts that have been using and upgrading the "Pro" software for years. Hopefully there will some alternative.
zap

Opensource and community based projects will be the future for hobbyists and business startups.
http://www.gimp.org/

This is just the start
  • Office will be cloud based,
    adobe will go the way
    many games are heading that direction.
It's eleminating piracy and leveraging the power of corporates again.
but a question resides:
What happens when you have no good internet connection
what when you want to work simply offline because you're cable provider is down for maintenance work

if everything is on the cloud, corporate power will drain financial ressources from all of us
adobe will further slice and charge per upgrade, tool or plugin (see games and buy for features system)

Piracy helps in a way to promote the software. Few students or hobby photographers would have used PS if it hasn't had "cheap" access to it to try out. Over time, due to quality of product , the masses sticked to it and now it's a mainstream reference program.
Same happened with AutoCad or other complex professional tools.

In the future this will be a positive or negative movement who knows ....
360 Panorama Creators http://luxmap.com
Google Trusted Photographer
Roy Reed

You only have to be online once every 30 days to keep your account live (90 days if you pay annually) so lack of an internet connection shouldn't be a problem.

But this isn't going to stop piracy. The pirates will just have to find a new method which will probably mean cracking user logins instead of of serial numbers.

What you can guarantee that it means, is that Adobe will be making more money from this method of 'selling' software than by selling boxed or downloaded licensed copies - otherwise why would they be doing it.
jmcilvaine

I agree about the piracy, you can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it. Fact is on the user side this is going to be good for some and bad for others. On Adobe's side it will probably be good short term but remains to be seen how this will work out for them long term.

This is an awesome opportunity for the open source community to step up their game. I hope that every "cry baby" (and I am using that term loosely, please dont take offence) throws a 5 or 10 dollar bill to their favorite open source project so that these projects can actually compete with the likes of Photoshop. Right now Adobe is king of the hill and in my opinion they have earned the right to do whatever they want. But as Spider Man's uncle said, "With great power comes great responsibility".

For me, I am more than happy to shell out $50 a month. I've used CC for about 11 months with no issues like I have heard about and what I gained in productivity by having access to the full suite of Adobe Products, which I would have never shelled out $2500 in a lump sum for, more than justifies the cost.

Adobe is going to run this "experiment" for a year or two and look at their bottom line. They going to listen to their end users but If this makes them more profitable, then this is how it will be moving forward. Adobes responsibility is to their shareholders first and end users second. But at the same time you need happy end users to have happy shareholders, time will tell if this was the right move.
zap

Who wants to believe that prices stay as is....
If they charge a few thousand € per 2 year block, they will certainly in the short run not backup to a lower rate but they will do it smartly.

see win8 : used to be cheap for launch, now is full price. same will happen with the adobe suit but more importantly they will use slicetactics and splitup their software into bundles (as is now) but with much more detailed possibilities: You need filter xy, no problem for 99ct/month you get it.

this will seem cheap but making the calcuation offers them much more revenu.

By this post I'll not say that it's a bad thing, it's just will that be of profit for the low end customer?
360 Panorama Creators http://luxmap.com
Google Trusted Photographer