Feature request - 1:1 zoom ratio

Q&A about the latest versions
jare

Hi!
To avoid overzoom, there should be some simple zoom limit option, like 1:1 pixel ratio for screen and panorama image.
This would be very useful, especially in projects where we have different output cube face size for flash and html5.
360Texas

Pano2vr has had this function for many years only it is called by a different name "Field of View" or FoV.

In the project file - Viewing Parameters click [MODIFY] button to change the INITIAL View parameters.

Normal human eye sight is 50 or 50° angle of view at the horizon. This flows from the frequently stated that a 50mm lens has the same extent as the human eye. The math behind this topic generated a FoV scale of 5° max zoom in to 120° max zoom out. However a recent article does some experimenting and generally proves that 50° is a myth but the zoom in /out math scale had already in use so this software remains unchanged. Fun Reading can be found here http://www.photofidelity.com/blog/50mm- ... usted.html

So at the top left corner Viewing Paremters FoV [field or angle of view]

Below find Field of View (zoom) info box

Explanation Zoom Range: Min 5° full zoom in pixelation and Max 120° full zoom out induces curved barrel distortion

Min [zoom in] can be [set] for 50.00 degrees angle of view on the horizon
Max [zoom out] can be [set] to 110.00 degrees angle of a very wide view horizon

So yes, it is possible to set the intial view to a specified angle of view
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
jare

Thanks for your reply Dave, but it seems you did not understand the essence of my request. Probably it is caused by my poor english :wink: .

Yes, we have a Fov limit option now. But it is not enough. Why? We can't choose separately FoV limit for flash and HTML5 output. So if you have a 6600 cube face size in flash, where you can zoom up to 15 degrees without pixelation and html5 fallback with, let's say, 1500 cube face, the html5 output can be zoomed up to 15 degrees, too. With huge pixelation, of course. And this is not good.
Furthermore, the minimum FoV (maximum zoom) without pixelation also depends on screen size. My 20000*10000px panorama can be zoomed up to 15 degrees without pixelation on 1280*1024px screen and looks great. But on 2560*1440 screen, at the same FoV of 15 degrees the image will look very pixelated (see image bellow).
So an option that won't allow to zoom more than 1:1 for screen and panorama image can simply solve all that problems with unwanted overzooming and panorama will be always sharp.
Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (193.92 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Hopki
Gnome

Please see Issue #704
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
jare

Thanks for reply, Hopki.
It seems that this was already added to the bugtracker http://gardengnomesoftware.com/bt/view.php?id=296
wigi

jare wrote:Thanks for reply, Hopki.
It seems that this was already added to the bugtracker http://gardengnomesoftware.com/bt/view.php?id=296
It's true. It has been almost 2 years (since July 2011) and nothing has been done. It's very sad. :(
So instead of buying an upgrade for P2VR, I'm considering buying krpano.
jare

Yes, I agree with wigi.
Many of us use pano2vr for professional purposes and can't wait for a years to some bug is fixed or a new feature is added. I know that here in Russia many of my colleagues desert to krpano because of limited possibilities of pano2vr.
I understand that software developing is not easy thing but I think it would be fair from the Gnomes at least show approximate deadline for next releases in the roadmap.
Anyway, thanks to all Gnomes for the great support.