Single Row Cylindrical Panoramas

Q&A about the latest versions
jmcilvaine

Hi All!

I'm finally getting ready to start actually using Pano2VR in real world applications after a few months of trying to learn this "Pano" business! I have a question about cylindrical panoramas. The situation I am running into is that my single row panoramas have "curved" horizons. First let me preface that I have demoed just about everything out there and settled on Pano2VR and Auto Pano Pro for stitching. I tried PT Gui, KR Pano, Pano Tour Pro, etc and find Pano2VR and Auto Pano Pro to be the best combo for what I want to do. That being said, I have this problem not matter what I stitch with, but if I stitch with Auto Pano and put it in Pano Tour I don't have the issue, so it has to be something with Pano2VR.

For 360 degree single row cylindricals, I made a "spherical" (2:1) canvas in Photoshop and I place the panorama off-center vertically and input into Pano2VR as equirectangular, which is no problem since it has to go into Photoshop anyway. However if I have a PARTIAL cylindrical (less than 360 horizontal, less than 180 vertical) That is where I have the distortion with the horizon and can't seem to find a solution inside Pano2VR to adjust or correct it.

Now I can tweak the panorama by adjusting my vanishing point in Auto Pano, but it's trail and error and I am not into spending alot of time on creating a tour. Have a look at the tennis court and beach panorama in this tour:

http://www.thepalmsbyscottroman.com/vir ... lobby.html

Also you can see the 360 degree panoramas also have distorted horizons. This tour was built without the panoramas going to Photoshop. Thanks!

Joe
Judy-A

Hi Joe,

I use Autopano Giga and Pano 2VR Pro4, so I’m familiar with the software you’re using.

Autopano Pro includes projection information in the rendered image and Panotour reads that info. I don’t believe Pano2VR uses that info.

When you stitch the panoramas in Autopano Pro, are you choosing Cylindrical projection or are you cropping a Spherical projection?

If you output from Autopano Pro as Cylindrical projection, then input into Pano2Vr as Cylinder in the Select Input panel. Ideally, your horizon should be equidistant from the top and bottom of the image.

If you output from Autopano Pro as Spherical projection, then I suggest you make a full equirectangular image, even if parts of the image are blank. This will keep the horizon in the center of the image. Bring the image into Pano2VR as Equirectangular. In Viewing Parameters, set the viewing limits to exclude the blank areas.

Judy
jmcilvaine

Hi Judy,

Thanks for your reply. Yes my projection is cylindrical when I stitch the images. I found that if I stitch in Sperical projection and create an equirectangular canvas in Photoshop and move the image off center vertically I can correct the problem. I did not try that method with a partial horizontal FOV panorama. Those were some "rookie" images I took a few months ago. Moving forward I will be shooting mostly spherical. I believe that those images were taken with my Canon T2i and kit 18-55 lens at 18mm. I have since purchased a 10-22mm lens and will be taking 2 rows of 8 images to cover about a 150 degree vertical FOV.

Another problem is that maybe my camera was not at an exact right angle to the tripod? Just really wondered why Pano Tour got it right and you explained why. Well, practice make perfect... :wink:

Joe
Judy-A

jmcilvaine wrote:Another problem is that maybe my camera was not at an exact right angle to the tripod?
I see a lot of stitching errors in your panoramas. A dedicated panorama bracket is required for accurate shooting. If you don't have a panorama bracket, see the Nodal Ninja line at
http://www.nodalninja.com/

Judy
jmcilvaine

Funny you mention that....I am ordering the NN3 MkII this week... :D

For that "tour" here was my workflow:

Batch stitch the images
Clean up control points, crop and render (The RMS on all those panoramas were between 2.6 and 3.2)
Batch process with a droplet in Pano2VR to create the Flash and Thumbnails
Add hotspots to images
Add thumbs to the skin

I just wanted to see how quickly I could produce a tour compared to the cloud based tour building service I use now. I think once I develop a consistent workflow this will go smooth and fairly quick. If I get busy enough I will upgrade to P2VR Pro to speed things up more. Building tours is just one part of my evil plan of world domination...Oh, I mean one part of a suite of services for Realtors...hehehe